• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Question

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
T-34: Ditto above. I have lost more sweat and vomit in that airplane than any other.

E-6: Much like the V-22 and C-12 above, it will actually snow on a humid day. Crank up the APU and if you have a nice FE, he will have it all nice and cool by the time you are done "McFiling".

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
NavyVance said:
Ive alywas heard just the Foxtrot refered to as a Rhino.

If the Echo is also refered to as such, feel free to ridicule.

If... onnlyyy...

It's "Rhino ball" regardless of whether you're an E or an F... simply a case of differentiating between the landing weights of the JV Hornet vice Thuper Hornet for the arrestor cable setting.

/threadjack off

The T-1 had a triple redundant A/C. One that worked on battery, one on bleed air, and a third to power the avionics. You knew it was an Air Force jet because you could actually divert the avionic A/C to the cockpit... "screw the systems, let em fry!! I'm not cold enough up here!!!"

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
When you get a working seat blower though, it's like you're sitting on a cloud in heaven. Best. invention. ever.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Seat blower?

The seat cushion on a 46 seat is a (very) thin cushion surrounded by a nylon mesh. A hose connects to a blower under the seat. If you have been living a good life and kharma likes you, you might get to fly with a slight breeze cooling your back and posterior. I must never have done right by the universe because I saw so few of them that worked that I usually didn't even try to activate it.

LAMPSwarrior

I can only speak for the SH-60B and it is hit or miss with our ECS. Most of the time it works well, however it doesn't reach the pilots. And as per maintenance control, "ECS is to provide cooling for mission systems, not to make the pilots comfortable." It'll be interesting to see how the mission systems work when the pilots are passed out.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get to sing the praises of the AH-1W air conditioning yet again (thanks Bell Helicopter for the one thing you truly did well).
We have the best A/C probably in the Naval inventory, show me another platform that can operate at 500 agl in August in 29 Palms and El Centro and snow balls hitting you in the face becomes a real annoyance.
And ours is specifically designed for the pilots, not the components.

MasterBates

I can only speak for the SH-60B and it is hit or miss with our ECS. Most of the time it works well, however it doesn't reach the pilots. And as per maintenance control, "ECS is to provide cooling for mission systems, not to make the pilots comfortable." It'll be interesting to see how the mission systems work when the pilots are passed out.

Yeah, and the ducts to fix it are ALWAYS on backorder. For as much *****ing that MC does, they always turn down the offer to come fly and see how hot it gets.

Our cabin was designed for ECS to work (our "vent scupper" is less than 3 inches round) angd gets NASTY hot due to being a greenhouse like most helos. If we had the sliding windows like the protoypes, it would be much nicer.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
P-3 has 2 AC systems which keeps you nice and cool... however, there was one time in the persian gulf where both systems failed and our auxiliary ventilation was stuck closed... it was over 100 degrees outside... our cabin exhaust fan was still running which created negative pressure allowing outside air to come in through the negative pressure relieve valve... the galley was nice and cool... but the flight station was unbearable.