• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid question about Jump Wings

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes. Go be a 75-badass, then get into a ANGLICO unit as a FAC. There, you just might get the opportunity. It's not common, but it's not really far-fetched either. My MOI did it, and he was a CH53 pilot. Of course he was also on American Gladiators and named his kids overtly Roman names (like Maximus), but that's a slightly different story.
I keep forgetting you're a GT NROTC alum.

draad

Low level static line jumping is not a generally fun experience. There is absolutely ZERO pride in wearing silver wings in the Marine Corps. You can have a fun experience jumping the MMPS (Marine Corps new free fall chute) but you won't go there unless you're Recon or MARSOC.

In all honesty, enjoy your three weeks off in the summer. Be happy you're not spending them practicing falling with 400 Army privates. And if you truly want to try skydiving (which I highly recommend), spend the $250 on your first jump course and you'll be knees to the breeze flying your own parachute in less than 6 hours.

Good luck.
This. Civilian route = faster, arguably safer, and more fun.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In PLC, definitely not.

As a winged aviator....maybe...if you play your cards in a certain way AND the timing is right. Typically via FAC tour of the right flavor. I know a guy who did 11 months in Battalion Recon and got them. I know a guy who did ANGLICO and got gold jump wings (actually 2, but one's a MajGen now and kicked it old school--I'm talking about relatively young guys) and another who did ANGLICO and never jumped once. Jump wings of any flavor won't make that much of a difference in your life, career-wise. If you like the high-speed life and want to play grunt for a year or so, jump wings might be a nice by-product, but don't count on them. If you just want the experience, then just pays your money and take your chances with everyone else in the civilian world of parachuting.

FlyinRock

When I was at Laughlin AFB I saw a lot of the new people coming in for primary right out of the academy wearing silver jump wings. They do it in a weekend or two at the Springs (COS)