• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stu. Pilot Cert. Question...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I understand that for purposes of military training SNA's are exempt from having to get a Student Pilot Certificate by the FAR...but, should you want to solo in the GA world (specifically gliders), would you have to apply for one?

I have some prior glider time, and am getting current and flying again, and wondered if I would have to reapply for an SPC.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I understand that for purposes of military training SNA's are exempt from having to get a Student Pilot Certificate by the FAR...but, should you want to solo in the GA world (specifically gliders), would you have to apply for one?

I have some prior glider time, and am getting current and flying again, and wondered if I would have to reapply for an SPC.

Does not carry over. The only thing that means anything with the FAA is having wings (good for a commercial licence). Short of that being an SNA dosen't mean shit.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the student pilot certificate and the 3rd class medical certificate were the same piece of paper...

Additionally, since as an SNA you currently have to have either done an XC solo or IFS, you'd need that anyway.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
You do need a student pilot certificate to solo in any type of aircraft and it is good for whatever you are signed off for and had training in. Typically when you get a student pilot certificate it is on the back of your medical cert. whether it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

If you have any other questions about getting your student pilot license or flight training in the civilian world PM me and I would be more than willing to help you out with any questions that you have.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll need to make sure your FAA medical certificate is current (which will double as your SPC) and obviously have an endorsement by some glider instructor wherever you're going to be flying.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
A SPC may or maynot have a medical on the back. It is not always there.

port_tack

You'll need to make sure your FAA medical certificate is current (which will double as your SPC) and obviously have an endorsement by some glider instructor wherever you're going to be flying.

Interestingly, gliders don't require a medical certificate:

FAR 61.23
(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a valid medical certificate—
(1) When exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking—
(ii) A pilot certificate with a glider category rating or balloon class rating;
(3) When exercising the privileges of a pilot certificate with a glider category or balloon class rating;

Tom

pilot
Contributor
"If you are going to pilot a balloon or glider, you don’t need a medical certificate. All you need to do is write a statement certifying that you have no medical defect that would make you unable to pilot a balloon or glider."
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/medical/

I'll be damned as well.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Get your wings, get your commerical ticket, and then get your commerical glider add on. Its SO easy and really cheap. All you need is a couple flights to solo, 20 solo flights (10 for private add on), and then checkride. Its better then doing the full commerical glider (100 flights needed). PM me if you have questions since I am a CFI in gliders.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That's my plan but I'd like to do some soloing in the meantime...I have about 55 hours of glider time already but didn't get the ticket...yeah I know...not my best decision.