• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Strike Fighter Shortfall: The Horror!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I guess the degree of "horror" involved actually depends on who you ask, but here's an interesting summary of the issue that came out last month from Congressional Research Service regarding the issue:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/crsf-18shortfa-apr09.pdf

It's a great datapoint of the current baseline acquisition plan for E/Fs and JSFs through FY13, but what it really does is lay out the growing gap between operational requirements and on-hand aircraft. According to these figures, there is a 15 a/c shortfall this year, and this will grow to a peak of 243 a/c by FY18 - well within the career paths of a lot of folks on this board. So, if you have an abiding interest in "what percent get jets", this might be a worthwhile read... :D

Interestingly, this gap is apparently twice the size of what the Navy forecast at this time last year - apparently, the Navy was betting they could extend Hornet service life to 10K hours, but now only believe they can get to 8.6K hrs. It also assumes that JSF production rates will ramp up to forecast rates without issue; if they don't, the gap could become larger.

The author states that Congress essentially has the following options:

• request further information and analysis from DON and/or industry concerning the potential size of the shortfall;
• fund service life extensions of Hornets to as much as 10,000 hours, if such extensions prove feasible and cost effective;
• increase planned procurement of F/A-18E/Fs in coming years;
• increased planned procurement of F-35s in coming years; and
• expedited procurement of a new long-range bomber.

(You can guess who is pitching the last option...)

As an aside, this is an interesting read because, like just about all CRS reports, it is designed to be agnostic to any specific course of action - the authors try and do a Joe Friday / "just the facts, ma'm". Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't - but IMO this one does a decent job.

(In a bizarre twist, the author of this report apparently died last week at age 46. That's hitting a little too close to home...)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
(You can guess who is pitching the last option...)
Meh. I give you a cheaper option . . . even shares engines with the Hornet. :D

A-6F_1987_DN-SC-88-00704.JPEG

22x JDAM . . . perfect for the GWOT/Long War/War on Islamic Extremism/War on Man-Made Disasters, no?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell, who cares anymore? With the FHP being slashed, we don't have the $$$ to fly any of the jets we have now. Seriously though, the age of needing 22 JDAM is long gone - at least in the current conflict. Most SCLs these days have only a couple kinetic weapons and most of them are being brought back aboard. I'll defer to A4s expertise, but carriage capability =/= combat capability. I don't reckon that an A-6 (or hornet for that matter) loaded up with a MER on each station would be very useful operationally.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hell, who cares anymore? ... then follows more ATTACK blasphemy .... :) ....
I'm not up on GWOT requirements ... but I think Chinese, and I don't mean 'take-out' ... forewarned is forearmed ... at least it used to be ... :)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Did the A-6 parent-mount its Mk-82 or were they carried on MERs? Because the problem is that as of right now, JDAMs need a be parent-mounted so that the computer can send its whiz-bang magic info to the weapon. They're working on "smart racks" which could carry two, but developing one which could carry 6 JDAMs the way you carried 6 Mk-82s on a rack would probably be another smooth, timely, and cost-effective acquisition project.......

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So...I don't have any money invested in the F-35 (or the F-22) for that matter. How many "bad-guy" countries actually have the technology to build Gen-5 fighters and the infrasructure to train pilots to fly them?

I think that we should buy more Rhinos and spend the extra $100 million per copy on a bad ass keg party at Lake Tahoe...:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did the A-6 parent-mount its Mk-82 or were they carried on MERs? Because the problem is that as of right now, JDAMs need a be parent-mounted so that the computer can send its whiz-bang magic info to the weapon. They're working on "smart racks" which could carry two, but developing one which could carry 6 JDAMs the way you carried 6 Mk-82s on a rack would probably be another smooth, timely, and cost-effective acquisition project.......
You learn something new every day . . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Parent rack loading was possible, but certainly not required, as I've seen many an A-6 loaded up with MERs and TERs. Obviously the JDAM issue didn't exist there, but again I suspect that with today's target sets, having a Hornet/Rhino flying around with 12+ JDAMs probably doesn't make sense.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Did the A-6 parent-mount its Mk-82 or were they carried on MERs? Because the problem is that as of right now, JDAMs need a be parent-mounted so that the computer can send its whiz-bang magic info to the weapon.....
Squadron/Wing/Community SOP (and most WEPs Manual loadings) had Mk82's and '83's going on MERs ... Rockeyes, CBU's, rockets on MERs/TERs ... w/ Mk84's going on parent racks and the same-o for NUKEs & mines & STANDARD ARM and SHRIKE ... I know I'm forgetting something.

Probably doesn't matter ... :)