• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Strange New Navy Recruiting Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
94911658-M-0.jpg

I'm no photo expert but something seems familiar about this Navy recruiting ad. Hmmmm. What could it be?:confused:

94911442-M.jpg

NEW ORLEANS (Aug. 30, 2005) - Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Shawn Beaty, 29, of Long Island, N.Y., looks for survivors in the wake of Hurricane Katrina here today. Beaty is a member of an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter rescue crew sent from Clearwater, Fla., to assist in search and rescue efforts. U.S. Coast Guard photograph by Petty Officer 2nd Class NyxoLyno Cangemi

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Wow, you'd think with a library of thousands of pics they could... eh... its not even worth typing this sentence. Someone out there is going to have to explain how they're too lazy to read a caption.

Good catch.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, you'd think with a library of thousands of pics they could... eh... its not even worth typing this sentence. Someone out there is going to have to explain how they're too lazy to read a caption.

Good catch.

I think you're missing the point here. There were just as many Navy guys doing SAR during that time, so do we really care about the identity of the guy in the particular pic they decided to use? Sure it's not exactly right, but it's not as though they're misrepresenting anything.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I think you're missing the point here. There were just as many Navy guys doing SAR during that time, so do we really care about the identity of the guy in the particular pic they decided to use? Sure it's not exactly right, but it's not as though they're misrepresenting anything.

Brett
BRETT?!?

Misrepresentation or credit deserved is NOT the issue. Someone was lazy while putting together advertising (= time and money...) and F-d up!

If you extend that line of logic, it may as well be an Army or AF crewman in the pic! :eek:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BRETT?!?

Someone was lazy while putting together advertising (= time and money...) and F-d up!

I don't dispute that, I just don't think it's worth getting all excited about.

Brett

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator

Brett
The picture is of a CG aircrewman. The ad leads you to believe it is a Navy aircrewman. How is this not misrepresentation?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The picture is of a CG aircrewman. The ad leads you to believe it is a Navy aircrewman. How is this not misrepresentation?

The intent isn't there. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, it's just an honest, albeit careless, mistake.

Brett

NavyLonghorn

It would be misrepresentation if the Navy wasn't doing SAR in New Orleans, and used a CG pictures as evidence that it was.

In this case, its just a good picture, so they used it.

Navy helo crews work with coasties in the back of their '60s now for go-faster/drug interdiction.

That should help ease the tension. ;)

-jai5w4

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The intent isn't there. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, it's just an honest, albeit careless, mistake.

Brett

Prove the intent isn't there, and that it was an honest mistake. Of course you can't.
But I understand your point...you want to give the recruiting folks the benefit of the doubt. Of course this means that the folks putting that together did not:
a. Check the source of the photo (and this isn't for an ad in the Penny Pincher...this is a national ad in Popular Mechanics among others)
b. Have the ad checked for accuracy.

Not a big deal, still it is hilarious when you are recruiting saying "...you told them you could change the world....In the Navy (you'll) provide aid to victims of natural disasters..." just like the guy you see in the ad. And he isn't in the Navy.

Irony meter pegged.
I think you're gay if your panties are in a wad about it.
I wear boxers, BTW.:)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Here is the point...

Could you do what is being done in the picture in the Navy...Yes...of course...

Did Navy folks do that very same thing, in the very same place...Yes...of course...

And we're done...

Status
Not open for further replies.