• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Straight from the Horse's, er, Pig's mouth..

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
For everyone following up on the Swine flu "epidemic" here's the official statement from the CDC.

Personally... I think it's all a bit of overreaction.. but I think that the only real epidemic worth getting worked up over is zombies..

helo_wifey

Personally... I think it's all a bit of overreaction.. but I think that the only real epidemic worth getting worked up over is zombies..

Really? If anything is going to be a pandemic it is going to be influenza, but it's not going to be H5 but a common strain that can transfer animal to human and human to human (enter Swine flu). We've had a couple pandemics of flu throughout history, personally I don't think it's an overreaction.

This is one of the biggest health concerns for the Navy, millions of dollars spent on research and surveillance in all of the fleets. Not only shipboard but in anything the Navy participates in (exercises and whatnot). The Air Force and Army also have large research/surveillance projects dedicated to influenza.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I'm more worked up trying to figure out why the surgeon general and his ilk have uniforms and ribbons. How do they earn ribbons?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm more worked up trying to figure out why the surgeon general and his ilk have uniforms and ribbons. How do they earn ribbons?

Ah yes... the U.S. Public Health Service- one of the seven uniformed services:

http://www.usphs.gov/

and not just a great trivia question or the guy who puts warnings on cigarettes.

Think of this in historic context- public health used to be a huge deal in the early days of our country.

Maybe we need a separate thread on award inflation/deflation for USPHS edit: Maybe there is a ribbon for killing zombie hordes. Or there should be. But would Navy folks on IA to PHS be permitted to wear it with their uniforms upon return to parent service? :)

Flugelman

Contributor
Z-day is nothing to shake your head at - everyone must be prepared.

Very Prepared...

GunSafe.jpg

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I thought Z-Day already came and passed, millions of mindless bodies bumbling around the metropolitan streets of America in the dreaded fall of aught 8. Complete with "Yes We Can" mumbling out of their mouth and "Hope" on their t-shirts.

Apparently we had a resurgence on April 15th.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I'm waiting to see what happens when someone at a military base comes down with it or one of their kids.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Back in '76 during the first overreaction, the Navy required ALL personnel to get the swine-flu vaccine, no questions asked. That was the sickest I have ever been in my life. :icon_rage One minute I was on fire, sweating profusely, the next I was freezing with a bad case of the shakes. I was sure my head was going to explode at any moment. And forget about trying to eat anything.....it wasn't going to stay down. Or maybe I'm thinking of a morning after.....

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
which brings up an interesting point,

but I'd be willing to bet money (small amount, I am in college after all..) that there have been more cases of Flue vaccine related death than from the swine flu in the US.