• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Story: Pilots grounded for good after low flyover

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pilots grounded for good after low flyover

This sounds rough. I know I've looked at this forum too much (or enough?) when I wince at mention of a "warfare transition."

Does anyone else have any experiences with difficult fenab decisions like this?

Field Naval Aviator Evaluation Board = FNAEB not "fenab"

I am not "experienced" from point of view of sitting at end of so-called "long green table", but have sat on them. Type Commander (in this case RADM O'Hanlon) has spoken, which determines their fate(s). There will be other flyovers (hopefully) in future and this is a strong message to abide by guidelines as there will be no forgiveness. These guys (senior folks) haven't forgotten what it's like to be young and faced with temptation of hanging it out for the alma mater so don't want to turn this good deal into a "How low can you go" and get away with it contest.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I remember back a few years ago (may be as many as 10) when the Blue Angels did a fly-by at an NFL game. The trail hornet dipped down in altitude and it appeared that it actually decended below the top of the stadium.
I remember John Madden using the telestrator to show the top of the stadium and where the jet was in relation.
I can't find the video, but I wonder if anything happened to those guys since it was on national television....
I releasing my arugument is rhetorical since it was the Blue Angels.....

I did sit as senior member for a FNAEB once but was stood down when the mishap was recharecterized a "C". Every one goes up to the TYCOM for approval especially when you make a recommendation to pull someone's wings or transition them.

badger16

None
Interesting to go with the down and locked pass. I don't think I've ever seen that as a flyover before.

navymic

pilot
The biggest problem was the came up with a crappy cover-up/lie. Their story was bogus, and the Admiral deemed them liars. That is why -2 went down as well. He should have gotten off lighter since he was staring down the wingline of lead, but his cover-up was the same.

This was similar to an Angels' Mermorial Day Flyover on the left coast. The Airboss gave the lead every opportunity to come clean, but to no avail and now no wings.

At Hook 3 or 4 years ago, one of the admirals spoke of changing the 1000' and 250 Kias restriction, as he thought it promoted a mindset of not merely deciding whether or not you would break that restriction, but by how much you would.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Wow that was pretty low.....probably kind of hard to use that excuse when you did it dirty

Brunes

pilot
It was a cool pass- but worth a career?? I hope so.

Top 10 was pretty insane to see.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Losing one's wings seems a bit extreme. I think there are enough punishments out there that would be a little less draconian, but still make the point. One the other hand, having done a couple of televised flyovers (Coca-Cola 600, Army-Navy Game), you're told the rules in advance and you know the score. You know there are cameras documenting whatever you do. It's tempting to give the crowd a good show, but come on--why is it people drop 50 IQ points whenever a camera's on them?

NAVYBM2

Contributor
You see, this is exactly what I am talking about! Everything is so political now! The guys fly low without an incident and get permanently grounded?
This is how it starts people; first you must fly above 1,000 feet, then is going to be 10,000 feet, the next thing you know we are going to have you do that on autopilot, oh screw it, we are just going to send an UAV over, sit your sorry ass down!
Pathetic rules, and regulations!
OK, and before all of you rush to give me negative Rep for criticizing without much experience. Do me a favor, and just ask yourselves the following question: Why did I want to become a pilot in the first place?