• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Stolen Valor" story

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
This really is just plain sad. My grandfather was a veteran of the second world war. He never lied to me about his service as a cook onboard a destroyer. It wasn't glamorous, but he was proud of what he did, and we were proud of him. That's ultimately what its all about. I don't understand what compels people to go this far in their lies. We all have stories about how we 'caught the biggest fish...' but this is miles beyond that.

Just wanted to add that being a cook aboard a US Navy ship isn't an easy job, and unlike many jobs in the military. EVERYONE aboard that ship sails her in harm's way and cooks also filled roles in gunnery, medical and damage control during WWII.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Just wanted to add that being a cook aboard a US Navy ship isn't an easy job, and unlike many jobs in the military. EVERYONE aboard that ship sails her in harm's way and cooks also filled roles in gunnery, medical and damage control during WWII.

I agree, and understand that. I wasn't trying to down play their role at all. I know it's not an easy job, or one without its stresses. I was just proud of the fact that he didn't feel the need to tell me that he landed on the beaches at Omaha and killed 300 Germans with his bare hands. He was proud of what he did, and he didn't feel the need to embellish.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I met one a few years ago. I was in my flight suit and the @$$ cl0wn still had the gall to start spouting what was clearly fiction to anyone with wings. The worst lie? When he said, "I've got a slot next year in (and I quote) Combat Fighter Pilots School". Dude, is that the same thing as USAF Weapons School or Top Gun?!? Wow!!

It seems to me like there's already plenty of them running around. I've personally met a few impersonators myself. Though, as time goes on, I'm sure their numbers will only grow larger.