• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stol With A Capitol S

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That is pretty amazing. I wonder what kind of headwind they had.

The musings in the description on the right seem to be a little, well, off...

The threat to the pilot of ... aircraft in Iraq operations ... is far less than to the equivalent Soldier on the ground in an equally expensive and complicated armoured vehicle. The benefit in having a pilot in the loop in talking to troops on the ground is priceless, particularly in less highly technically advanced armed forces.

The threat to a pilot manoevring low to optimise his effectiveness is not at all unreasonable in an Iraq-like insurgency. Threat is relative and should not be judged by highly sophisticated U.S. standards."
You go ahead and take your high lift dealie into combat for low level recce in open or urban terrain and see what happens to it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Nice vid. Thanks. I have to ask though...as cool as it was that he got off the ground as soon as he did, I wonder what his 50ft distance is like? Seems like this would be more important. It looks like the pilot sacrificed alot to get off the ground that quickly and immediately had to dump the nose to keep the airplane flying. Same idea on the landing...his approach was very, very flat, I'm assuming to keep his speed down, but what about trees?

I realize it was a demo...juest curious about real world use.

Very cool in any case.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All we're missing now is the clip of the Cub landing on the water and then sidestepping to the gravel bar.

Truly amazing... Perfect Bush plane, I wonder what it's useful load is?

Probably not much. I don't see what's the big deal. I used to take off and land in much shorter distances w/ a much heavier aircraft. Oh wait...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
All we're missing now is the clip of the Cub landing on the water and then sidestepping to the gravel bar.

Probably not much. I don't see what's the big deal. I used to take off and land in much shorter distances w/ a much heavier aircraft. Oh wait...

Ask and ye shall receive

That's cheating !! :icon_nav_

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I think I saw a special on those freaky planes on everyones favorite, "Tactical to Practical." I was impressed then, as I am now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Impressive, but like others have said, not that insane.....the guy is just using ground effect and a good soft field T/O technique to get moving. In a loaded Cherokee you can get flying in ground effect in under 150 ft if memory serves me correctly.....probably a lot shorter for a lighter a/c. I'd like to see him start a VX climb in that distance. Landing is pretty crazy.....but then again, I'd like to see what headwinds were like during this shoot

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
On the show I believe they touted the takeoff IAS at like 30kt. Just a leeeeeetle headwind and away you go.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On the show I believe they touted the takeoff IAS at like 30kt. Just a leeeeeetle headwind and away you go.

Yeah, thats what I'm saying.....stand on the brakes, firewall the throttle and get some nice propwash effect over the wings, add to a 10-15 kt headwind and you'll be flying in ground effect in a matter of feet