• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stencils and Stamps

Kyoowashugi

Thanks for the suggestion, but those socks are acrylic, which is a nono for shipboard wear (and thus a nono for the plant here). I was asking about boot socks because the command here is switching to the NWU in about a month, and as everyone pointed out the uni shop's boot socks suck.

You might want to make your own thread, this one relates to Marine OCS and they don't have restrictions based on fabric type.

Silly nukes :icon_tong

My favorite socks for boots are a regular old pair of black Dickies work socks. I don't know about materials, but they're comfortable and cheap.

Fetter

Without making another thread- I am curious what the deal is about underwear. I just assume that I'll be bringing my own boxers, but free-ballin may not be the best policy. Do most of you wear the green PT shorts w/jock strap underneath the utilities?

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
Without making another thread- I am curious what the deal is about underwear. I just assume that I'll be bringing my own boxers, but free-ballin may not be the best policy. Do most of you wear the green PT shorts w/jock strap underneath the utilities?

I just wore the green skivie shorts I never even bothered with underwear, they have a liner in them like swim trunks so I didn't even wear the jock strap even though we were supposed to, I thought it was uncomfortable and it would have been one more thing to wash.

MasterBates

Dude, if dress socks that you are wearing under your boot socks become an issue, you were a screaming alpha long ago.

I see you will go far in the nuke community.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Dude, if dress socks that you are wearing under your boot socks become an issue, you were a screaming alpha long ago.
Obviously no one is going to be checking the material of my boot socks. However, if the reason for no acrylic is legit (melting in heat/fire), then it wouldn't be a good idea to get them.

Sorry for the threadjack... I just figured that Marines would have a better insight to this issue being that you all have been wearing the NWU style boots ages ago.

MasterBates

Again, if the heat/fire that is melting your acrylic inner socks has already penetrated you boots and outer socks, you are already fucked.

Forest for the trees, you miss.

(typical nuke)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I got a self-inking stamp at Staples before I left and it was great. I would just eyeball 6" of tape, slap it on my rifle/canteen/LBV/whatever-else-I-can't-remember/and would be done stamping in less than a minute.

This biggest problem with this approach is that all the candidates with stencils will keep you up after you are trying to sleep. Oh yeah, I brought spray-paint too, so my giant G-3 was permanent, and all I had to do was color within the lines for my name with a sharpie once every sunday and I was golden.

Worst case scenario is that your stamp looks radically different than the stencil that they are using that year (yes, the stencil format changes, so don't try and use someone's stencil from last year), and in that case you probably won't use it much.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I had great success with Fox River boot socks. Our company didnt really give a shit aobut different fonts on markings just as long as it was marked.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do they still use the white nametapes over the pockets and on the backs of the utility blouses?

I thought that a Sharpie marker would work SO much better than the prescribed black shoe polish with my nametag stencils. Not so much. I had to scam some extras from the candidate entrusted with the tape and redo mine after the Sharpie bled into the fabric to the point of illegibility.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Do they still use the white nametapes over the pockets and on the backs of the utility blouses?

I thought that a Sharpie marker would work SO much better than the prescribed black shoe polish with my nametag stencils. Not so much. I had to scam some extras from the candidate entrusted with the tape and redo mine after the Sharpie bled into the fabric to the point of illegibility.

As of last summer they still used the white nametapes. I remember seeing candidates with the marker bleeding but mine never did. I think I just got lucky. I couldnt imagine using the shoe polish though. that stuff washes out after every wash.