• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stats For Ocs Class 189!!!!! Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh81

Glen said:
True that. So what do you think about my stats? You think im in the zone?

Thanks for the support, Sgt. My stats are not as good as I want them to be, but they are ok. I had to finish school in less than two years between deployments/exercises; plus I am on my first contract.

I know you will be just fine, though, Sgt!!!
You are an 0311, MSG, high PFT (so no worries about OCS and TBS, since attrition rate is freaking crazy for ECP classes). Plus, the Corps want to see dedication out of the Enlisted Marines. As long as you show them that you want to lead Marines at a higher level, the Corps wants that. What better than an Officer that has had leadership and knows the how the Corps works? Plus, you have LtCol's and Col's LORs, HELL, you should get ready for OCS, Sgt. The possibility of not going doesn't exist for you.

My last PFT was a 288 at Corporals Course (or should I say NO-SLEEP-PT-ACADEMY?). I'll run one this friday and I know I'll do better than a 290, since I will actually SLEEP.

- My rifle is a 39 (lol....I am a POAG) and I also shot a 339 in the Pistol. (Even though Rifle/Pistol doesn't make a damn difference as ECP 188 indicated.)

- ACT 48 (combined).

- ASVAB 76 (from High School. Yes, I know!).

- GPA 3.73 Computer Science (less than two years).

- ASTB was a little rough though, I am short one point on one of the minimums (I can't take it again, it's too late), but I have a Private Pilot License and 60 hours logged in and counting.

Bad paper is NJPs to me. Even though it's supposed to get you on track, not F**K you up for ever. I personally don't believe in bad paper though, I believe in inficting pain through lots of PT (my Marines know when they mess up, I take them on long PT sessions and we all get some) oh and standing duty.

I am getting deployed with the Wing Hq now (lol...Swing with the Wing...hahaha). But I should get on plenty of convoys since we are providing security.

Good Luck, Sgt...and I'll see you at OCS.

Semper Kill!

Crowbar

None
skyhigh81 said:
The possibility of not going doesn't exist for you.

Hate me if you want, but you really have nothing to base this on. Have you ever sat on a selection board? Do you know how widely the selection criteria varies from board to board? I'm not talking about the minimum requirements. One board have see an overload of turds while the next may have 50 Mini-Chesties trying to get in.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's one thing to sit around and compare stats and say "Well I got in with this", it's a whole 'nother thing to look at a select few of somebody's stats and tell them they are basically guaranteed in. If you don't know the precept of the board and information on every single candidate they review, you are talking out of your ass saying things like this.

skyhigh81

Crowbar said:
Hate me if you want, but you really have nothing to base this on. Have you ever sat on a selection board? Do you know how widely the selection criteria varies from board to board? I'm not talking about the minimum requirements. One board have see an overload of turds while the next may have 50 Mini-Chesties trying to get in.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's one thing to sit around and compare stats and say "Well I got in with this", it's a whole 'nother thing to look at a select few of somebody's stats and tell them they are basically guaranteed in. If you don't know the precept of the board and information on every single candidate they review, you are talking out of your ass saying things like this.

Okay, first of all I never guaranteed anything to anyone. My statement was strictly supportive and perfectly arguable as you can read below.

Whatever I said is based on three things:
1) my observation on who got selected from the past boards
2) my last OIC was a board member
3) the ECP is not a highly competitive board such the MECEP or MCP

And hate me if you want too, but it is true.
MECEP Marines go to school for three to four years (that's it, no fleet time) and it counts towards their retirement (some leave as junior NCOs and by the time they become 2ndLts they have already pinned SSgts). Whereas some Marines chose to stay in the fleet and go to school at night or go to school between deployments. It all depends on what you do and where you are, but If you finish school on Active Duty and bust your ass, the board members see that and take that into consideration a hell of a lot more than other programs (this came from a board member too, not my thoughts).

Plus, lets be realistic here, ECP/MCP goes three times a year. Why is that? Why doesn't it go like MECEP/BOOST, once a year?
It costs a hell of a lot less to Commission a Marine that has a degree than to take a squared away SNCO or NCO from the fleet (already trained and with experience), allow them to draw normal pay and go to school for two, three or four years (if they make it through school) and then return them to the fleet with probably over 6 years of active duty time or more (a good portion spent in school, out of the fleet) as 2ndLts. That is common sense talking.

Yes, I agree that there might be class gaps where you don't selected, but truthfully do you think HQ USMC will allow more slots to other officer programs when they know there are other sources of lesser cost to obtain officers from? I don't think so.
In addition, last time I checked there aren't many Marines out there that are concerned with attending school, some are unfortunate because they deploy so much and most just screw around for four/five years and get out. The few that go to school stand out. Usually, they are the Marines that want to better themselves and the Corps values that. Usually, not always the case. The Commandant even said himself that he values greatly and is proud to see Marines that complete school while on active duty, it sets a great example and it costs less to return a Marine back to the fleet.

I understand that you are a Marine (probably an NCO or SNCO) and I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else by what I have written, but I am not talking out of my ass. That I can guarantee. And I am an NCO not some civilian so please give me the due respect, just as I give it to others.

Crowbar

None
skyhigh81 said:
Okay, first of all I never guaranteed anything to anyone.

skyhigh81 said:
The possibility of not going doesn't exist for you.

Oh, I see the difference. No, wait. I don't.

What you said about commissioning programs is true but I don't see how it applies here. Nobody's talking about how much it costs for each program or how many slots are available. Besides, a former board member will have some good insight on the selection process but can IN NO WAY predict what will/won't be competitive on the next board...or the one after that....or the one after that.
I went to night school for years myself. Then I went to MECEP. So thanks for the lesson on the commissioning program I successfully complete the day after tomorrow. You could have saved yourself a lot of time by looking at my profile, it says right there "MECEP Student".
Either way, if you still want to argue, it's because you are missing my point. Encouraging somebody is one thing, telling somebody that you think they have nothing to worry about when in fact you don't know if they do or not is something else. Think about this: How do you know that every single applicant's stats don't look just like those described above? You don't. How competitive is your shoe in now? Just think about it for a minute......

seblack

Trying to get into 189 as well.

Stats:

University of Missouri-Rolla
Major: Engineering Management
GPA: 3.6
ASVAB: 99
ACT Combined: 60
PFT: 25..something. Working hard on it.
ASTB: 7/7/8

Currently in Army Reserves. Basic training and AIT Honor Graduate and High PT awards. I can easily max the Army PT Test no sweat, but can't seem to get a competitive score for the Marines. Sad.

Still have to pass my flight physical in January though. Wish me luck.

Applying for NFO. Hope to see everyone there in June.

skyhigh81

Crowbar,

I don't care about arguing this. I leave for Iraq shortly so, it's useless to sit here and type away when neither of us will provide results. I know what I know and I have seen no Marine with stats like that (even lower) ever be turned down. I have monitored the past three ECP boards. Congrats on your graduation and future journeys. This is actually my last time I log in.

Crowbar

None
skyhigh81 said:
neither of us will provide results.

Speak for yourself. And believe me, I know what I'm talking about here. I've monitored more than three selection boards.
Be safe.

dpt0101

247 pft (really bad at pullups)
3.42 gpa economics
1380 sat
166 lsat

5'8
151lbs :(, i've actually gained 10 lbs in the last year

Glen

Crowbar,

Thanks for all your information and I hope you the best in MECEP. How far are you into it?

Glen

HueyCobra8151 said:
What Company are you with in MSG?

I am with Alpha, going to MECEP Prep in June.

I don't think an NJP necessarily DQ's you. I got NJP'd my first 6 months in the Corps, and I was still accepted for mecep.

I was with BRAVO for my first post, but I am now with CHARLIE(Philippines). So you getting ready huh? Good luck man.

frogman

Question about selection board for 189

Does anyone know when this board is supposed to meet for 189? I assumed it would be in late April or so as in the past, but I just heard from an OSO that they would be selecting candidates in March. He also said that March board would be making selections for October 05 (190). He was referring specifically to OCC.....Someone please right this if I heard wrong.

Crowbar

None
Glen,

Thanks, I get commissioned tomorrow!

Good luck getting into OCS. Hopefully people will see my point, the quality of applicants varies on each board, and nobody can predict what will get you selected/passed over for any given board. That being said, getting in is the easy part. OCS is no joke physically. It's one of those things that challenges you in so many different ways that eventually it will find a weakness. But it's not impossible, lots of people finish every year. Just try to prepare so you don't get injured.

Clux4

Banned
Congratulations Crowbar, the reward for your perseverance is weighed in gold.

We will all get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.