• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Staffs and their usefulness

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think you all are discussing the internal politics of a given staff as opposed to the usefulness of a staff to a commanding officer. The modern staff system was a Prussian invention first officially employed in 1814 that proved quite useful. The first U.S.Army staff was the U.S.Army staff structure during the Civil War and proved a much better way to control an army in battle than Lee's disjointed command structure that relied on Lee's personal relationships with his corps commanders who had a bad habit of being KIA. Staffs are an integral part of giving a battlefield commander the C3I to best inform to make decisions when putting are young men and women in harms way.
Well look who stayed awake through Clausewitz...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you all are discussing the internal politics of a given staff as opposed to the usefulness of a staff to a commanding officer. The modern staff system was a Prussian invention first officially employed in 1814 that proved quite useful. The first U.S.Army staff was the U.S.Army staff structure during the Civil War and proved a much better way to control an army in battle than Lee's disjointed command structure that relied on Lee's personal relationships with his corps commanders who had a bad habit of being KIA. Staffs are an integral part of giving a battlefield commander the C3I to best inform to make decisions when putting are young men and women in harms way.
I appreciate being talked back onto target. The history speaks for itself. With that in mind, a command structure that includes a supporting staff seems to be a necessity of a modern military command. So then what is the debate? That AIRPAC doesn't need a staff?