• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA21: Possible with NJP (Over 3yrs old?) & Other general desireable qualities?

MartinMJ

I am an ABF3(AW/SW) on the CVN75, have been dreaming about and thinking over the STA21 program, reading the manual on the process and so on.

I want to know if this is just a pipe dream for me, if because I have an NJP I could never get selected or probability is almost none? I am about to hit my 3 years since I had the NJP and am looking forward to being able to put a package in.

Also was wondering some general guidance / advice on recommended qualifications and things of that nature that a good (competitive) candidate should have?

Thanks for any help.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to AirWarriors, ABF3!

The most common sense advice we can give you is that if you don't apply, you definitely will not get selected. That being said, have you had a chance to search AW? There are countless young Sailors who have had NJP early in their career and have gone on to great success both on the enlisted and commissioned sides. Many of them have posted their stories on AW and they can be a valuable tool for putting your situation into perspective.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
+1 for the search, but the short answer is NJP didn't keep me from getting selected, and the kind of stuff that gets you JSOQ/JSOY is the kind of stuff that looks good on an application. College, volunteer work, great evals, a good statement, a couple LORs, and meet all of the minimum criteria on the STA-21 website.

Make your CoC aware of your intentions, get ready to knock out the ASVAB and SAT, take some courses on deployment... get the ball rolling now. Good luck!

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
I def agree with the above.......been there, done that. I am prior enlisted, with NJP and look at me now.....flying 60S. It can be done. If you wanna talk and have questions.....PM me. Good luck!
Btw, looks like your in Norfolk as am I....hit me up.

MartinMJ

Thank you all for your responses so far, definitely a good start. I am on deployment and the internet is definitely less than great. I have taken 3 college courses this deployment and intend to take several more when we get back, been completing correspondence courses and NKO courses as well and intend to take ACT/SAT upon return to home port.

Praying4OCS, when my ship gets back to Norfolk I might like to take you out to dinner or something, pick your brain and get some advice/practice a few board questions maybe I will definitely message you.

About the High School, do you need just the diploma or full transcripts?

chk13

full transcripts. And I think there was a thread completely on board questions. Another tip, the best coursed you can take right now to impress the board are your maths and sciences (calculus and physics). Dont worry if your high school grades are less than adequate just make sure you are doing well in your college courses to show a growth in maturity and be sure to mention something to that effect in your personal statement.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Start collecting and collating all your transcripts SAT scores, etc.

When I did STA-21 boards on the Stennis, missing items was the number one package stopper.

You may need to write to schools, former employers, old COs, etc., so get started now. Keep applying, your submission can only get better.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
As I'm sure you're gathering, NJP in and of itself isn't a showstopper (mine is another example). That said, I believe the nature of the offense and evidence that you've learned something from it (or lack thereof) will go a long way in the type of endorsement you get from your CO, which in turn goes a long way in determining the overall strength of your application.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!