• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Help

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
just an update I am taking the ASTB on the 4th and have bought several study aids. Which is best Arco, Barron's, or Cliff Notes?

chet

I want to further emphasize getting started your personal letter! The sooner you get going on it the more times you will be able to go back and read over it AND the more time others can devote to helping you with it. If you can find anyone that sat the board before or knows someone that did, they would be a great asset to the paper. One bullet to put in your statement is the desire to COMMAND AT SEA. It shows that you don't plan on doing the minimum and that you have high standards.

In addition, taking a class or two now shows that you are serious. I took pre-calc and calc I at a community college for that reason...and because it had been about eight yrs since I did calculus.

Getting letters of rec. from O-4's and above is also key. The higher the support the more the impact on a decision.

Go through your pkg with a fine tooth comb. They are looking for mistakes to make their job easier. They want someone who can read and follow instructions so don't screw up the easy part.

Practicing for the two boards is a great idea. I came from subs and didn't deal with women so I wasn't on my toes for senarios like the E-4 who is pregnant with the Chief's baby. Have a good answer to questions like..."Why did you join the Navy?" and "Why do you want to be an officer?" or "Why should we support making you an officer?"

Keep being number one!! If you let your job slide while you put effort toward this it looks bad. You also have to realize needs of the Navy. If you only talk about one community (i.e. aviation) and blow off doing anything else as an officer then you don't look as appealing.

I would be more than happy to share my personal statement with you if you're interested. I was fortunate to have two post board members look at it and steer me in the correct direction.

best of luck to you

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I want to further emphasize getting started your personal letter! The sooner you get going on it the more times you will be able to go back and read over it AND the more time others can devote to helping you with it. If you can find anyone that sat the board before or knows someone that did, they would be a great asset to the paper. One bullet to put in your statement is the desire to COMMAND AT SEA. It shows that you don't plan on doing the minimum and that you have high standards.

In addition, taking a class or two now shows that you are serious. I took pre-calc and calc I at a community college for that reason...and because it had been about eight yrs since I did calculus.

Getting letters of rec. from O-4's and above is also key. The higher the support the more the impact on a decision.

Go through your pkg with a fine tooth comb. They are looking for mistakes to make their job easier. They want someone who can read and follow instructions so don't screw up the easy part.

Practicing for the two boards is a great idea. I came from subs and didn't deal with women so I wasn't on my toes for senarios like the E-4 who is pregnant with the Chief's baby. Have a good answer to questions like..."Why did you join the Navy?" and "Why do you want to be an officer?" or "Why should we support making you an officer?"

Keep being number one!! If you let your job slide while you put effort toward this it looks bad. You also have to realize needs of the Navy. If you only talk about one community (i.e. aviation) and blow off doing anything else as an officer then you don't look as appealing.

I would be more than happy to share my personal statement with you if you're interested. I was fortunate to have two post board members look at it and steer me in the correct direction.

best of luck to you

All good advice, but if I to do it over again, I would have most certainly taken Calc I, or at least pre-Calc. Not only does it show academic potential, but it will make life a helluvalot easier later on if you have never taken Calc before.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
just an update I took the ASTB today scores are as follows:
AQR-5
PFAR - 5
FOFAR - 5
OAR - 51

wxguesser

Just want to say good on you for applying...a lot of people with potential don't get that far.

Your ASTB scores are fine. They meet the mins. I am a Pilot selectee this year and I think that is identical to what I scored.

I'd basically reiterate what everyone else has said. Make yourself stand out regardless of what category/part of the package you're talking about. Talk to Officers in/around your CoC...even (and especially) if they are going to be on the board. Ask for letters of rec from anyone you can...sit down with them for a few minutes and go over your package, get suggestions, solicit advice, etc.

One thing I don't see mentioned often on here is presentation. I knew an O the first yr I applied who was on the board and he said a quality package (Color copies of everything, well formatted, etc) can make you stand out from the pack not only aesthetically but can get you more points as well. This also goes a long way for your boards. That's what this is...a points game with a little human intervention.