• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Springfield Armory

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Today at the range, I had a... malfunction with my XD-40 It is about 3 years old and has about 12-14k through it.

The recoil spring/captured guide rod assembly came apart about 120rds into the day. The guide rod broke internally causing a failure to extract. So I kept the pistol pointed down range, dropped the magazine and proceeded to try to clear the casing. I didn't notice the blown out assembly and was having a tough time trying to clear what I thought was just a simple failure to extract. The end result was me rechambering the case and having the slide lock forward.

As I now could not pull the slide back at all, I went to set the weapon down to get the range master. It was at this time that the guide rode actually fell out of the pistol. Great. The reason it came apart... the threading on the tip of the guide rod had a hairline fracture and let go. The part of the assembly left inside is cocked diagonally and will not let the slide back at all. I took some pictures, but they are unremarkable and do not show the detail of damage.

So, I pack up, head home and call SA. Within minutes I'm on the phone w/ a gunsmith and after some simple trouble shooting, they give me a RMA number and set me up to ship it back. They pay the shipping and repair cost.

So I say BZ to Springfield Armory and their customer service. I've always been a Springfield guy and this just reinforces why I will stay that way.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Today at the range, I had a... malfunction with my XD-40 ....
Another suggestion: kill it. Kill it. KILL IT. KILL IT !!!!! :eek:

BUT: S/A's customer service has taken a BIG uptick in the past few years .... I just don't like pistols that fail when I don't have the time to send them in for pistolsmith work.

I just sold mine (XD's X 2) off .... their initial relatively low cost is not enough to entice me anymore .... I'm sticking with Colt's (for old, classy, and sentimental) and H&K (for new and always works) in handguns ... when you find something you're comfortable with -- you should probably stick with it. :)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I have never heard of that happening with an XD, though I expect its not a commong problem.

Im an HK guy as well. I just hope I never have to deal with their customer service, as they have about the worst reputation in the industry.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Im an HK guy as well. I just hope I never have to deal with their customer service, as they have about the worst reputation in the industry.
That's what I heard, too ... but I've never had a problem getting phone calls returned -- and parts, while slower to show up than I'd like, have not been a problem, either.

Never had a material or functional H&K failure; rifle, carbine, or pistol.

Ace_Austin

pilot
Thanks for the heads up. An inspection of the rod assembly with every cleaning should hopefully catch this before it goes bad.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Thanks for the heads up. An inspection of the rod assembly with every cleaning should hopefully catch this before it goes bad.

There is nothing you can inspect. The front of the guide rod goes down the assembly and connects with a 3-4mm worth of threading. The failure was the threading fracturing off. Something so simple can cause so much damage.

First time I've ever head of an XD having any problem at all... but hey, nothing is incapable of failure, except Chuck Norris. My best friend's Glock 22 had the internal safety become stuck.

theduke

and H&K (for new and always works) in handguns ... when you find something you're comfortable with -- you should probably stick with it.

that's how i feel about SIGs.

unfortunately, i don't even currently own one. gonna have to fix that, i think.