• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Springfield 1911's

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
After reading Flynavy's range report on his 1911, I decided over a kimber and I am going to pick one up. My question is what is the difference between the mil-spec and the G.I. .45 hi-cap model besides the physical aspects. Does it perform the same? are the internals alike? Is either one more reliable? etc... I really like the look of the old style .45 and that hi-capacity is attractive too. Anybody have any insight on this?

much thanks as always,

vr/
Josh

MasterBates

I have the semi-loaded hicap. Same guts other than Mag, Mag Release, Trigger (bigger bow to do around mag), and grips.

Use Mec-Gar mags. They work the same. Para P14 mags are the same. You will not find many mags listed for a SA hicap, but P14s are the same.

I broke a mag release, by being a bonehead, and SA gave me 2 free, and some new grip screws too.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JoshDavid said:
After reading Flynavy's range report on his 1911, I decided over a kimber and I am going to pick one up. My question is what is the difference between the mil-spec and the G.I. .45 hi-cap model besides the physical aspects. Does it perform the same? are the internals alike? Is either one more reliable? etc... I really like the look of the old style .45 and that hi-capacity is attractive too. Anybody have any insight on this?

much thanks as always,

vr/
Josh

The GI is modeled after the WWII model 1911. Doesn't have a lowered ejection port, has straight "grip" on the slide, couple other things. The Mil-Spec is "mil-spec". It has some upgraded features over the GI. Looks a little nicer, a little more reliable maybe. Little more expensive too. Can't go wrong with either though.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Fly Navy said:
The GI is modeled after the WWII model 1911. Doesn't have a lowered ejection port, has straight "grip" on the slide, couple other things. The Mil-Spec is "mil-spec". It has some upgraded features over the GI. Looks a little nicer, a little more reliable maybe. Little more expensive too. Can't go wrong with either though.

Excellent, thanks guys. I'm going with the GI model as its looks appeal to me a little better than the mil-spec.

vr/
Josh

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JoshDavid said:
Excellent, thanks guys. I'm going with the GI model as its looks appeal to me a little better than the mil-spec.

vr/
Josh

Forgot to add, the front sight is fixed in the GI model. You can put other sights on it, but it'll require some gunsmithing.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JoshDavid said:

vr/
Josh

That would be a bad decision unless you have no intention of ever upgrading it or only want a good USGI clone. They are comparably priced, but you get a lot more with the MilSpec.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
squeeze said:
That would be a bad decision unless you have no intention of ever upgrading it or only want a good USGI clone. They are comparably priced, but you get a lot more with the MilSpec.

Thats pretty much what I'm looking for, a good clone that is fun to shoot and isn't a turd.

r/
Josh

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JoshDavid said:
Thats pretty much what I'm looking for, a good clone that is fun to shoot and isn't a turd.

r/
Josh

I"d go with Mil-Spec... it has some nice-to-have features and only slightly more expensive.

MasterBates

Most GIs have some feed issues with non-ball ammo. I think the mil specs have a tweaked feed ramp.

Mine feed hollowpoints fine.

Plus the lowered and flared ejection port dings up your brass less if you reload, Like I do. Gotta love $4/50 for 45ACP