• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

spits buried in burma... update

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Jesus, that's great news. Wonder how many airworthy examples will come out of this? Also fascinating to see the respective governments getting into the mix for their cut.
Awesome though.

jmcquate

Contributor
I think they are Mk.XIV Spitfires which were Griffon, not Merlin powered. There's quite the cottage industry repairing and supplying parts for Merlins.........flooding the market with Griffons could get sporty.

ryan1234

Good thing the US Navy has nothing to do with this....

or else they all would be taken and placed on the ramp at NPA to await a slow death.

KBayDog

Good thing the US Navy has nothing to do with this....

...or else they would commission a task force...er, a "Joint Task Force," with an 0-7 in charge, to recover the aircraft. A staff would be stood up (based in Hawaii, of course), and would immediately commence their required annual training (IA, Trafficking Persons, SAPR, CIMEO, PRT, PFA, DADT, safety stand downs, etc.). Following the annual training (ensuring Green Boxes on their 'readiness' matrices), they would then turn to designing PPT slides as they come up with creative ways to justify their proposed budget. After the budget is approved...and the money hits the bank...they would then commission environmental impact surveys. This, of course, would require close coordination (read: concurrent, stove-pipe planning) with State, who would then set up their own task force to slowly, smoothly garner Burmese support for the required visas/permits to make this happen. Of course, they'd require their own environmental impact surveys, which, while completed by the same EPA (or its subcontractors), would conflict with the Navy's results, miring approval decisions in the courts (US courts or Burmese courts??) Several years later, after giving Burma a gift of tens of millions of dollars of "aid," the Navy will finally be allowed to allow its well-compensated contractors to retrieve one aircraft, which would be boxed up, loaded onto a 3rd Fleet LPD (which just got back from a year-long ARG deployment and had to turn right around, of course), sailed through the Panama Canal, and finally delivered to Pensacola...

...where it would be taken and placed on the ramp at NPA to await a slow death.

FIFY

Renegade One

None
On a related note, when I had a tour of duty at NAF Atsugi, JA, there were still "rumors" of underground maintenance and aircraft servicing facilities all long-buried in advance of the American occupation…underneath what is now the golf course (MWR cash cow…). Of course, these would include "nearly pristine" examples of everything being flown in the defense of Tokyo and Yokohama near the end of the war. You can imagine...
I was told: "No one's going to look for them…there could be tons of gold bullion down there, but if it means digging up the golf course…never gonna happen!":)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
When I was stationed in Atsugi they were "renovating" one of the greens and in the process discovered several 10's of thousands of rounds of HMG ammo that had been buried there. Had to cordon off the area while they brought in EOD to clear it all out. With the affinity the Japanese had in WW2 for tunnels and things underground, not much would surprise me.