• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Speeding Tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbospider2k

I don't have any - never wrecked a car either, but I do run 'em fast.

My question is this:

We were visiting ERAU this week (great place - I'm going) and my dad (former SH-3H NA) was joking around about past SNA reqs. Said you used to have to have at least seven speeding tickets and a d.u.i. before they'd accept you. Obviously it's an over-exaggeration, but...

What do they like to see now? I drive cars fast. I modify cars for speed. I don't get caught and I don't wreck. Should I go out and roll my volvo 240 or get busted running 115 in a 35 zone?

kabttu

well, speeding on a regular street might not be the smartest thing, but i've heard from my recruiter and other people that they do like to see someone who is willing to take a risk, but do it intelligently. so maybe instead of getting tickets, get involved with drag racing or SCCA type racing, just my .02.

kevin

jaerose

Why would you do that? You can't be a Naval Aviator if you're dead, or in jail...which would be the most likely to occur. I've got speeding tickets, but nothing like that. Actually, something like the 115 in the 35 could cause jeopardy in your application process...I'm not sure where joyriding ends (which that would obviously be) and more serious reckless driving/endangerment would start. If the latter is anything above a misdemeanor, then you're screwed. The best thing to do is to keep the adrenaline junky attitude, but learn to control yourself and be responsible. Remember, a Naval Aviator is still an officer and has other duties and responsibilities...so conducting yourself in a professional manner, even in a racecar is a must. Be careful and good luck.

JR

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
IMO, there are many more important things to worry about when applying to be a Naval Aviator. Your driving record (assuming there aren't any major f*ck ups), will be considered after your GPA, ASTB scores, athletic participation, letters of recommendation, leadership qualities, work experience, medical evaluation, other problems with the law, your PRT, and the "Needs of the Navy" are considered (in no particular order).

A couple of speeding tickets won't hurt or help, but don't have any major screw-ups. Good luck.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
It's the "agressiveness" thing I think they're looking for. They just want to see that you're not one of those real mellow, lethargic people that are afraid to take a chance. I don't think it's worth you going out and getting a ticket though. There are other ways to show aggressiveness; racing (which probably isn't the best idea either), team sports (intramural or college level), self pronounced (tell them how competitive you are on your goofy little essay you have to write. Just ensure them you have an aggressive, take charge, no fear (but I'm not stupid either) attitude and I think you'll be fine.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Uh...

Not the smartest thing in the world to do. The Navy has changed a bit since the good old days. They dont want to give a 40 Million dollar aircraft to someone they cant trust or think will break the rules. I am going to agree with Jboomer. You dont have to mention racing or anything like that in your package. Just go with the team sports/leader, active in a variety of things and with a can do/take charge attitude. Just don't over do it.

Dave

Rainman

pilot
"taking risks with my 50 million dollar piece of equipment" is necessary . . . depending on your definition of risk. In strike community violating a procedure to take a sh*t hot risk isn't the way to go, but being (and flying) agressive, always fast, and abrupt is REQUIRED. Speed (= energy) is life. Of course getting a DUI or 115/35 is poor headwork and decision making and will jack up your career--so don't do that!

I seem to remember on the ASTB the biographic part asking questions like how often you break the speed limit and do you like to gamble and do you like to take exams before you're prepared (sign me up!). . .anyways. . having a tolerance for risk improves your score (assuming the biographical inventory is still used). ..

my $1.25

jaerose

And I think I read that they have done away with the biographical info part of the test anyway.

JR

Rainman

pilot
Don't lie. Don't steal. Don't get a DUI. Don't get a reckless driving ticket.

all good advice for the aspiring military officer.

speaking of reckless driving. . . I thought "lance corporals with badges" were bad in Quantico. Here in sunny Meridian you get a reckless driving and excess speeding ticket for 28 in a 25 (more than 10% over). . .Especially challenging in a 10MPH parking lot zone.

CRAZY. Luckily those silly speed rules go away at 10,000'

rare21

pilot
Contributor
dont get a dui at all you dont get promoted and your future in the navy is done and you will be attrited from the program if you get one in flight school. the ASTB did have that bio stuff when i took it a few years ago and my XO told me to answer that i did "race cars" "drive fast" things like that. which was surprising to me because i thought the navy would want someone to be responsible enough to not break their plane. but whatever made my score higher was what i go for. so dont get speeding tickets (i have a few but i dont think it made a difference with the navy) and dont get a d.u.i. at all.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doubt it, talk to your recruiter to find out for sure.

Irrumpo

I fought the law and the law won
I don't know California's legal system, but it will be worth your time to sit and discuss this with a lawyer for a few minutes. There is always a loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.