• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spare the rod, spoil the child (child-rearing tips for aviators)

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
LOL! There's a whole new generation of guys.
'Metrosexual' is at an all time high. Have you guys not noticed this on the carriers?

I remember a few years ago, doing the homecoming for our squadron. We set up the single guy's barracks rooms. Seriously, their roomates had more toiletries and body washes stacked on their dressers than I have!

As for ice cream.. no question. I'll give you guys that. Just remember that a gallon of Blue Bell is $4.50 vs. $9.00/lb or more for steak. A gallon usually lasts more than one night.. usually.. :tongue2_1

Don't forget the personal care products....body washes, moisturizers, anything with a fragrance, and then there's makeup (but that's not at grocery store)...that can be insane

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Indeed, soda can rot their young teeth and gives them a sugar boost on top of that...I always take a nice red beer like Killians in a thermos and give my grandkids that...slows 'em down and makes 'em very docile. I'll see if I can find a picture.

My girls like Guinness. I do get some looks, though.:D

Flugelman

Contributor
Indeed, soda can rot their young teeth and gives them a sugar boost on top of that...I always take a nice red beer like Killians in a thermos and give my grandkids that...slows 'em down and makes 'em very docile. I'll see if I can find a picture. ;)

I know you are kidding, but this brings to mind neighbors we had back when I was in Jr High. They would brag about giving their ankle biter vokda martini to calm them down. We were scandalized of course and called them out on it (they were renters in my Grandma's rent house), but of course nothing was done about it.

Today, they would be in jail...

Baconhead

Hey now, not all kids are holy terrors. I've seen plenty that know how to behave and function properly in public. All depends what the parents are doing with them.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I take my son (turns 5 in 26 days) everywhere I go. The only exceptions are when I am going someplace where I know he won't have any fun (like a deer stand at 4:30 AM when it is 30 degrees out).

Little Bevo and I (and his mother for that matter) have been through hell and back just to still be together and we have a bond that is pretty strong. If you think that it's hard to take your kids to the grocery store, try 11 rounds of chemotherapy, two major surgeries, a bone marrow transplant, and 23 days of radiation. Not to mention 15 (of 18) rounds of maintenance chemo. That has been a cake walk.

I don't want to sound self-righteous and I don't pretend to be a better father than anyone. I just know better than to feel like it is a task to get up in the morning and fix breakfast, because there have been to many mornings where I would have cut off an arm just to get LittleBevo to take a single bite. You think diapers suck? Try being up in the middle of the night holding a puke bucket because your 30 pound 3 year old is throwing because of chemotherapy.

My kid is a blessing, and I do everything in my power not to waste a day with him. I hope nobody would have to go through what we did, but take it from us, don't take your children for granted.

Bevo, sorry you went through that and I'm glad your little guy is still around.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
OK, off the subject of grocery shopping, but this annoys me on a routine basis:
CHILDREN DO NOT BELONG AT BARS!
Specifically, squadron functions held at bars. Babies too small to do anything other than be held or sleep in the baby car seat all night excluded, the 2-5 year old who runs around at knee level with adults drinking all around him is endangering his/hers and everyone's safety and enjoyment.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Hey now, not all kids are holy terrors. I've seen plenty that know how to behave and function properly in public. All depends what the parents are doing with them.

Exactly. You can't blame a 3 year old for being a little shit. How they act at that age is a direct representation of how they are being raised, and how much backbone their parents have.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Specifically, squadron functions held at bars. Babies too small to do anything other than be held or sleep in the baby car seat all night excluded, the 2-5 year old who runs around at knee level with adults drinking all around him is endangering his/hers and everyone's safety and enjoyment.

Aw hell, I remember serving beers at the VFW/American Legion hall to my dads friends...I was sitting at that very bar eating peanuts watching the World Series during the big quake in S.F. (1989?) I was 10...

Kids can be in SOME bars, under proper guidance...

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Turtl3 said:
Children are not robots. They do as they wish sometimes, you know, regardless of how they were raised.

Yup. But the parents who don't/won't assertively fix the problem the first time it arises are the ones to blame. They're also the ones who usually go around saying how bratty other people's kids are, but their little angels are just "going through a stage."

Bevo16

pilot
Bevo, sorry you went through that and I'm glad your little guy is still around.

He is still around and been in remission for a little over a year. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis is an amazing place, and a very worthy charity. They are on the CFC card every year.

Here is a picture of my little fella playing in the snow yesterday:

n698645652_1858552_6255327.jpg

H60Gunner

Contributor
He is still around and been in remission for a little over a year. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis is an amazing place, and a very worthy charity. They are on the CFC card every year.

Here is a picture of my little fella playing in the snow yesterday:

n698645652_1858552_6255327.jpg

Sweet pic Bevo! Looks like his Dad! Tough kid to have gone through all that.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes

my mother is fond of saying that I "grew up in the finest bars of Bakersfield CA," and I turned out just fine ;)

exhelodrvr

pilot

Not just bars, but at any social function unless it is specifically a family event. Parents need to get sitters or not go.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None

You, sir, have obviously never been to a drinking establishment in southern Spain at 0330 in the AM.:icon_tong

I still remember the Spanish families strolling in with their little ones (any and all ages)...ordering a cerveza or something with a bit more kick and then hanging out for a couple of hours.

Sometimes the kids were good...sometimes not.

I also remember that when I finally had to call it a night those kids were still going strong...and probably snuck over to finish my last glass of sherry, too.

We always joked it explained the absence of a Spanish Apollo program...too busy having fun drinking and carousing to worry about a space race with anyone.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
That all depends on which school of thought you prescribe to for behavioral training and its effects on personality development. I do believe Carl Rogers would be against it.:D

lol, almost any modern psychologist regardless of their school of thought won't go against mounds of evidence that has now become pretty textbook.

Also, despite the fact that I never want kids (wretched crotch spawn!), child developmental psychology was one of the best classes I've ever taken in college. There were probably 80 people in the class and it was literally a 60/20 split between girls/guys. Great class!

edit: kids.