• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space FOD

robav8r

None
Contributor
Soooooooo much material here :D

I thought this was interesting, if not a bit scary:
"In September 2023, the European Space Agency estimated 35,290 objects were being tracked and cataloged by the various space surveillance networks, with the total mass of objects orbiting Earth amounting to more than 11,000 tons."

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Soooooooo much material here :D

I thought this was interesting, if not a bit scary:
"In September 2023, the European Space Agency estimated 35,290 objects were being tracked and cataloged by the various space surveillance networks, with the total mass of objects orbiting Earth amounting to more than 11,000 tons."
Meanwhile, we're supposed to have every pen, flashlight, knife, etc. tethered to us...
freddy-got-fingered-sausages.gif

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
And Musk is putting satellites (and a fucking car) up there like it’s his own personal playground.

:confused:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And Musk is putting satellites (and a fucking car) up there like it’s his own personal playground.

:confused:
The satellites are there for a reason (high-speed internet to folks who otherwise wouldn't have it), and the car is in an orbit that's like 99.999 percent likely not to do anything in the next few centuries. He still would have had to throw a mass simulator of some kind on Falcon Heavy for it to be certified; he just used his car as a publicity stunt instead of a big block of metal. Elon is a raging douche and an asshole; I get it. That doesn't automatically make everything he does bad.

Random8145

SpaceX isn't the only one putting these mini satellites up there, other companies are as well and now China is planning to. In terms of infringing on the ability to see the stars, I think SpaceX is working with the astronomy world to help avoid this, but also from what I've read, they'd need a significantly higher concentration of satellites to reach the point of affecting the night sky.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
At some point there's going to have to be a massive collection effort for this stuff. Seems like a great use of robots though, given the problem set and risk.

Random8145

SpaceX already actually accounts for this. When a Starlink satellite dies, they have it designed where it will just burn up in the atmosphere. Something will need to be done eventually for all the other space junk up there though.