• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soviet helicopter in action...sort of...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Let's assume the Hind is a -60 for a sec (to make the known math work)... If you break it down, the rotors rotate at 258 RPM. That's 4.3 Revs/sec. So the shutter would have to be going about 1/250th speed. Very easy to do w/ most cameras. What's perplexing is how relatively constant the blades stay even w/ the fluctuations of Nr. There's that one clip w/ the gear (couldn't get the first clip to work) where you can see the blades move a bit, but in forward flight, looks like Nr stays pretty constant.

Raptor2216

I think this is a case of the simplest explanation being the correct explanation. Since you can see some movement when the guy is hovering and maneuvering around and the the tail rotor is moving the whole time. Since the tail rotor is turning faster than the main rotor, it makes sense that it would appear to move faster in relation to the main blades on camera as well.

I think its safe to say it is not a toy because the motion is just way too life like. It would have to be a damn big toy to make the movement appear so scale like. As difficult as it is to believe that this is just a simple matter of frame rate, I think it makes the most sense. That's just what I think.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LFM...helo magic.

Or the work of the devil. :icon_rage :icon_smil

UMichfly

pilot
None
I'm gonna throw in another vote for frame sync. The tail rotor seems to be spinning a little slow to me and it looks like the rotor moves when the helo rotates away from the camera and there's a different rotation rate for the blade. Either way, pretty damn cool.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look at the shadows of the blades on the fusalage, they would not be there if the rotor was turning.

Sure they would, assuming it's the frame rate synch thing, they would stop the motion of the blades AND the shadows they cause.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Yes they would. you just can't normally see them as the camera generally isn't synced to the speed of the blades.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Lots of video out there that also shows the same limitation in frame rate/capture. Pretty common in video of helos caught with consumer level cameras

C.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't we have the pic of the HT-57 on the little practice ship in P'Cola Bay where it looked like the blades were curved on here a while ago?

Same sort of thing perhaps.