• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soviet helicopter in action...sort of...

MSkinsATC

pilot
the way the gear comes up about half way through, it makes me lean toward not being a toy...anyone know anything about this??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a toy.

If it's a toy, then how is it flying? The way it moves around, it looks like it's swinging on a cable, but I guess anything's possible.

Edit: I've seen the frame rate effect thing, but never quite like that. Now that I think about it, those blades would be flapping all over the place if they weren't spinning, so that might be the case.

Brett

schwarti

Contributor
You can see the blades jiggle a little... but that might just be my imagination.

If it's a toy, it could be someone holding it on a fishing line.

kejo

pilot
plus even slight changes in blade lead/lag would prevent perfect frame rate sync

i'm going +1 for the hoist theory, before my brain explodes

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Some internet research. I don't know if they know what they are talking about, but it's not only being discussed here.

http://reddit.com/info/1r7d3/comments
I was looking at that as well.

I like this answer the best
This is entirely frame rate sync (strobe effect). There is no motion blur because some video cameras have extremely fast shutter speeds, for example 1/250,000 of a second. Yes, one quarter millionth of a second. So even if the blades are going 1000 miles an hour, the blades have moved less than 0.1 inch during the shutter time.
You can clearly see the blades are not perfectly stationary. The sync drifts slightly as the blades speed up and slow down. So it's not an impossible coincidence that they are perfectly in synch, it is simply in the range that the blades look fairly stationary.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I was looking at that as well.

I like this answer the best

This has to be like the most amazing, fastest camera ever then... and they must be synced to the equivelant of like .00000000000000000000001

I dont think thats it

There is no blur at all

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
airwolf.gif

No helo rotor blades move 1000mph. The blades would be supersonic and the helo would be a smoking hole. Only Airwolf's blades can handle that speed.

It's either a camera shutter speed or a model. That's it. Sorry all, there's no magic helo. :sleep_125