• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Something strange about this picture...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
151203-hornethookcatshot4.JPG

Notice anything strange about this picture? I found it on the Navy News website. Shouldn't the pilot have left his/her burners on longer after being catapulted? Also, what's with the tailhook being down?

Thanks

DairyCreamer

Well, far as I'm aware, F/A-18s dont necessarily need afterburner for a cat shot. Pilots can elect to use it though if, say, there's a heavy load. I'm not a Naval Aviatior yet though, so, I could be very gravely wrong :)

As for the tail hook... ya got me!

~Nate

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Originally posted by TNWhiskey
Practicing touch and go's??? Complete guess.

I would guess so too, but you can see the steam rising from the end of the catapult cylinder showing that there was a launch from that cat, and you can also maybe make out the shuttle at the end of the deck.

BeanFighter

pilot
Not a bolter, this is a shot off the fwd cat. You are correct about the use of AB. This is probably a launch directly into the pattern for another trap and the pilot just dropped his hook right after the launch. Left turn towards the pattern vise right to clear the CV off the right cat.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Originally posted by BeanFighter
Not a bolter, this is a shot off the fwd cat. You are correct about the use of AB. This is probably a launch directly into the pattern for another trap and the pilot just dropped his hook right after the launch. Left turn towards the pattern vise right to clear the CV off the right cat.

I actually understood all of that.
glasses_125.gif
I also noticed it couldn't have been a shoulder cat because of the obvious fact that there is no right side where the shoulder cat is.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That's pretty quick to be dropping the hook. Though it looks like he launched from CAT 1 and has started his turn to downwind for CQ, so that makes the most sense. If it wasn't case I CQ, he would be making a right turn off CAT's 1 or 2.

version2point0

i see it now. nice pic, but i always thought they take off with the hook down, but thats because im not a pilot yet to be better educated.

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.