• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Something missing from NAS Kingsville...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On a side note, is the Marine NSS requirements being waved right now for harriers?

Haven't heard of it happening yet, but who knows what could come. My *guess* is that the Hornet overload will be a shorter term thing, with folks below the Harrier cut defaulting to Prowlers in the meantime (at least that is how it has been for the last couple of Marine selections)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Took a crew of maintainers working sun up to sundown a whole month to restore the P2V at Jax, IIRC. Although, an A-4 would obviously be a bit smaller.

Hey, wait, A4s is retired, and wanting for a project to occupy his time. Maybe he could take a little K-rock vacation.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'm not a rocket surgeon or anything, but I have a feeling it would take a pack of amateurs more than a few weekends to restore an aircraft.
So it takes more than a couple weekends, get some studs together and start the project and others will join in.

Took a crew of maintainers working sun up to sundown a whole month to restore the P2V at Jax, IIRC. Although, an A-4 would obviously be a bit smaller.
And look at the beautiful piece of history that sits there now. It's something that those who took part in will have for the rest of their lives. Heck if I was 5 hours closer I'd take up the project and get the ball rolling.

MasterBates

Volunteer to clean up and paint the A-4.. If it's too structurally weak to be up on the pole anymore, get it put on wheels out by the KingKat. An A-4 sitting in the corner between "vulture's row" for the King Kat and the parking lot.

If I could put in over 2000 man hours on the King Kat, with another 3000 from others, you guys can strip and paint an old A-4, and have it at the club. It could have a spot of honor, like the T-28 at NAS Corpus Christi.

It won't take that much away from your drinking time, and it would not kill you to play 5 hours less of Xbox a week. I'd do it, but I'm off the coast of some place that ends in "stan".

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A4..jpg

I didn't see any BuNo on the tail. The tailhook is long gone too, probably taken as a souvenir long ago. To those concerned about history, there is still a very nice looking TA-4J displayed behind where the new plane will be on a stick.

Masterbates, I'm sorry to say that the KingKat has not been in use for a while. Hopefully once it warms up some more someone will get it started back up.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
You guys have civilian contract maintenance down there these days, don't you. That's part of the problem. Back in the day, Brownshoe and the troops would take it upon themselves to ensure the pedestal queen would get a makeover when it started looking bad. And the KingKat should get a workout every winging, at the absolute minimum, cold weather or not.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That thing is pretty damn sad looking. If I get sent to Kingsville, I'm in. It's nothing a Mr Clean Eraser can't fix.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That's a pretty sorry sight......if any of you krock dudes do man-up and decide to fix her up, I know where you could probably get a TA-4 tailhook (provided it were for such a good cause)

flybw

Alpha Mike Foxtrot
pilot
Contributor
I went and took a look at the jet the other day. I'm no expert, but in my opinion, the jet is beyond repair. The landing gear were removed when they prepared it for its spot up on the stick, so anything other than a pedestal is out of the question. Also, there is SERIOUS rust on the jet, inside and out. The fuselage had some man sized cracks on it as well, which I'm guessing is from it being jerked around when the took it off the stick. Not sure what they are going to do with it now, other than leave it sitting there out on the old south end of the field, so we can look down at it coming through the 135 to the 35s.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'll be heading that way in a couple weeks and when I do I shall stop and see if I can get a look. All this has me wanting to do some good if only it's to start the ball rolling. I'll post back when I know the date and its firm. I really hate to write off an aircraft without even trying.

nugget81

pilot
And the KingKat should get a workout every winging, at the absolute minimum, cold weather or not.

Agreed!!

The fuselage had some man sized cracks on it as well, which I'm guessing is from it being jerked around when the took it off the stick.

Nothing a little bondo can't fix....afterall, we're not talking about making her fly again, just lookin' like she could!

You guys want to see a really sad A-4, go find the one barely hanging on its stick in Kleberg Park off of 77. :(

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
There are bunch of A-4 sitting out on a range in Fallon waiting to be used as targets. You could get whatever parts you need for the bird in K'vill from one of those sitting in the desert.