• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some weakness, I need good advice

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
I'm prior service (AT2, 4yrs honorable), and I have a BA w/ English major. I had enlisted under the JOBS program that put people with questionable academic backgrounds (I had dropped out of HS and got a ged) in a prep type class for good A schools. I graduated at the top of every class I was in and got 2 meritorious promotions. I made E-5 in less than 4 years. I've had great jobs as an electronics technician since before my terminal leave was done and I still have a great job, but I want to be an officer. I have a wife and 2 young kido's (do they even consider family situation?). I have a retired master chief that is a personal friend and I'm sure would write an outstanding lor.

My weakness is the fact that I've been told of 300 applicants last month, only 3 were selected (Intel OCS). My only choices are Intel and Cryptology (I'm 30). Also, my GPA was only 3.55 and the school was not exactly ivy league.

I want this. I've got the latest ARCO book on the ASTB and I'm reading this site a bunch. I'm a good test taker, so that should be good, Lord willin'.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
My weakness is the fact that I've been told of 300 applicants last month, only 3 were selected (Intel OCS). My only choices are Intel and Cryptology (I'm 30). Also, my GPA was only 3.55 and the school was not exactly ivy league.

I want this. I've got the latest ARCO book on the ASTB and I'm reading this site a bunch. I'm a good test taker, so that should be good, Lord willin'.

I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit! 3.55 while on active duty, and E-5 as quick as you did it is awesome! Just try to speed up the process as you are not getting any younger. I will defer to those more knowledgeable on the Restricted Line side of the house to give you a better answer.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I'm prior service (AT2, 4yrs honorable), and I have a BA w/ English major. I had enlisted under the JOBS program that put people with questionable academic backgrounds (I had dropped out of HS and got a ged) in a prep type class for good A schools. I graduated at the top of every class I was in and got 2 meritorious promotions. I made E-5 in less than 4 years. I've had great jobs as an electronics technician since before my terminal leave was done and I still have a great job, but I want to be an officer. I have a wife and 2 young kido's (do they even consider family situation?). I have a retired master chief that is a personal friend and I'm sure would write an outstanding lor.

Whatever you do, don't quit. I PNAd AQ2....twice...and still managed to make it; you can too. Your GPA is good, service record is good too (meritorius promotions aren't cheap). There are a couple of recruiters on this site, they should be able to give better gouge.

Did you speak with an Officer recruiter?

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
correction

I started going to school on active duty, but I didn't get a BA until a little over a year ago. The wife, kids and full time electronics job with mandatory overtime slowed me down some. The officer recruiter I was put in contact with is actually a chief. He's the one that told me about only 3 out of 300 applicants making it into Intel for the last selection.

I'm definitely going to give it my best shot. I'm just feeling around for anything extra I can do to help me out. Such as a written statement. Do emphasize the fact that I got a 4.0 gpa associates degree which was before having 2 kids--the lower gpa later was with kids and after buying a house? Does that sound like I'm making excuses? What do I emphasize in the letter and how long should it be?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the numbers! Do you want to make it? Will you do what it takes? Then you WILL be an officer. The key is drive, tenacity and work ethic. Don't give up. It was 6% acceptance rate the fiscal year I got accepted. Don't ask me why (the how I explained above), but I made it. You can too.

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
This encouragement is great. Thanks.

I should say that the recruiter chief said that right now they are looking at people with 3.7-8 gpa's ( I assume 3.9 and 4.0's too).

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
I believe you qualify for Supply Corps as well as Intel and Crypto.

You may be able to redesignate at a later time too but I'm not sure.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just rock the astb and run it up the flag pole. They may say they want 3.7, but that is for a run of the mill applicant. Outstanding prior service, school on active duty and full time employment counts for something. Getting an app in now means you will probably be working on the first of the '09 quotas, so the timing isn't so bad. Give it your best shot. Good luck.

carmackrc

Get with a recruiter to see what your options are. You don't have to just apply for Intel. When it all boils down to it, an officer is an officer. They don't work for a living anyway. I got selected for Supply Corps with a 3.2 GPA, (10 years active duty Marine E-6). Just do it.

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
I believe you qualify for Supply Corps as well as Intel and Crypto.

You may be able to redesignate at a later time too but I'm not sure.

Can anyone verify this? I want to be sure I'm aware of any possible open door to a commission. The recruiter chief said it was only intel or crypto.

bb1125

None
Can anyone verify this? I want to be sure I'm aware of any possible open door to a commission. The recruiter chief said it was only intel or crypto.
Unless I'm mistaken, you're eligible for all restricted line and staff corps and you should still be able to apply for an age waiver for NFO(depending on your birthday and time in service). Maybe the recruiter was telling you what he thought your best chance was. If I were your recruiter, I would be pushing you to apply for AMDO. Your prior experience with aviation maint. would certainly help.

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
Unless I'm mistaken, you're eligible for all restricted line and staff corps and you should still be able to apply for an age waiver for NFO(depending on your birthday and time in service). Maybe the recruiter was telling you what he thought your best chance was. If I were your recruiter, I would be pushing you to apply for AMDO. Your prior experience with aviation maint. would certainly help.

That was what my master chief friend said, so I asked the recruiter if he told me that because of best-fit or because they were the only options. He said it was my only option.

I'm giving serious thought to posting my letter of intent for review, criticism and whatever input I can get. But, I'm concerned about putting it on the web. I may be just paranoid, but couldn't that bring it into question when I submit it--if I posted it on the web for all to see?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was what my master chief friend said, so I asked the recruiter if he told me that because of best-fit or because they were the only options. He said it was my only option.

I'm giving serious thought to posting my letter of intent for review, criticism and whatever input I can get. But, I'm concerned about putting it on the web. I may be just paranoid, but couldn't that bring it into question when I submit it--if I posted it on the web for all to see?

Bottom line is that you should only put down jobs you want and are willing to do on your application, REGARDLESS of what the recruiter says. You want NUKE....The NAVY is hurting for NUKES....

-ea6bflyr ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AMDO age limit is 35 plus the 2 year prior service waiver. It is a dieing community though. They only take a couple people a year. I haven't seen the quotas for '09, it may be closed to OCS already. Intel and IW limit is 41 plus the waiver, SWO is 29 and the 2 year waiver is available. Last number I have for Supply is a couple years old. It was 29 and I seem to remember the prior service waiver being an option. Given just what we know about you here, and no recent knowledge of available quotas, you seem best qualified for, AMDO, SWO, Supply, Intel, and IW( in order of best qualification). Your recruiter will have the latest number. Like ea6b said, only apply for what you want, and don't be afraid to request something even if the recruiter says it is not a best fit.

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
ea6b said "jobS you want." Are you saying it will hurt me to focus on say AMDO while expressing an interest in any commission?

Also, any input on the question I had about posting my declaration of intent?