• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some shots from a recent vist to Udvar-Hazy

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Went with my roommate to Udvar-Hazy (the off-site hangar of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum) and I've attached some pictures here.

sdc10310small.jpg
This one ... it's in my logbook a few times .... when it was a "straight-A" model. Thanks, Dan ...

HuggyU2

None
Plus if you decide to go on one of their free guided tours, the guides have some pretty interesting things to say.
Buzz Carpenter is a retired O-6 that flew the SR-71, and he is also a docent there. Call ahead, and see when he's giving tours.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Good to see that they go another SR-71 to replace Jetfire. Great place though, a lot of cool stuff in there.

dfm500

I'm sure most of you have already seen it, but the web site for the Air & Space Museum is very cool. They have a wealth of information on most of the large objects. You can see progress on former restoration projects (Enola Gay, the Aichi Sieran, Hawker Hurricane, and many others)

They also just started a blog that has some odd topics of discussion. My favorite are the 'airplanes' that are powered by houseflies.

Well worth the price of admission:
http://www.nasm.si.edu/

Here are the fly-planes:
http://blog.nasm.si.edu/2009/06/26/insect-power/

I know that this is kind of off-topic, but for those of you who are driving distance to Tucson, the Pima Air museum is also cool. I saw the SR-71 there with one of my uncles. The best part of the day was when we were checking it out, and he said "You know, they designed this whole thing using slide-rules."

http://www.pimaair.org/

Be cool,

-DM

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It was mentioned earlier, but if you are ever in Oregon go to the Evergreen Museum. Absolutely amazing, lots of warplanes, Spruce Goose, and a B-17 you can get inside of and walk (er...crouch-walk) around in.

Went to Udvar-Hazy the other day, I was surprised at how GINORMOUS the Space Shuttle is. It is freaking colossal. The Enola Gay is also pretty incredible to stand next to.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anytime A4's - I was surprised how quickly they got back to me w/r to the A-6. ...
Roger that; I only wish the powers that be had chose to paint the ol' girl in one of the late 60's/early 70's paint schemes -- something w/ a little 'color' and 'panache' ... rather than the late 70's-and-forever-after drab, washed-out multi-shades of grey .... even the early -E models were painted in the 'colorful' schemes. :)

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I wish I had known something like that before I went... next time.

Anytime A4's - I was surprised how quickly they got back to me w/r to the A-6. For those interested, here's a link about it from the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Any guess what the BuNo is? I thought it might be 152000, since that is the inventory number listed in the Museum records, but then I cross referenced the A-4C and their inventory number does not at all correspond to the BuNo.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Any guess what the BuNo is? I thought it might be 152000, since that is the inventory number listed in the Museum records, but then I cross referenced the A-4C and their inventory number does not at all correspond to the BuNo.

I asked via email the other day and a caretaker told me it was 154167.

Know it?