• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some questions about flight life

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Pags said:
...and with that it's back to watching airwolf and firehawks so i feel good about my job.

I think you mean "Firebirds." That wonderful piece of cinema with Nick Cage

hey everyone has to have their own Iron Eagle:
Navy -> Stealth
Army -> Firebirds
AF -> happens to be the original, Iron Eagle

Pags

N/A
pilot
Punk said:

yeah, that's right...it also had tommy lee jones in it, and apaches shooting down saabs.

Rainman

pilot
Punk said:

Navy -> Stealth
Army -> Firebirds

I guess the Marines take Independence Day. . . .

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Fox-2! Fox-2! Move Knights, move!!! A couple sidewinders will teach this 80-mile flying saucer a lesson!

Come on, ONLY a Marine could pull that load of crap off ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Fox-2! Fox-2! Move Knights, move!!! A couple sidewinders will teach this 80-mile flying saucer a lesson!

Come on, ONLY a Marine could pull that load of crap off ;)
And hey, if these AMRAAMs don't work then the next logical step is the nuke option.

Brett

VAmookie

Punk said:

Navy -> Stealth
Army -> Firebirds

Flight of the Intruder??? (was that Marines)

Flying leathernecks... you know John Wayne could kick tom cruise's ass (while playing beach volleyball in skin-tight jeans)

KBayDog

CORPSviation said:
Flying leathernecks... you know John Wayne could kick tom cruise's ass (while playing beach volleyball in skin-tight jeans)

:icon_mad:

It sucks that I have to kick your ass so close to Christmas.

Duke Morrison wouldn't be caught dead playing volleyball in skin-tight jeans. And besides, LtCol Kirby was too busy training his Marines for war to "go to a hotel room...and shower...and dry off...and play some volleyball."

He was dangerous.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody can brainwash you so what's this "scared" bit? I did a shore tour as editor of Approach and literally got to every type squadron before I was done. There is a passion in every community and true, if you don't get what you what, you'll end up so busy and bonded to your squadronmates that you'll forget what you originally wanted. Doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for your dream (if you have one). The selections may seem capricious....sometimes a community that is viewed as unpopular turns up the heat to get some top talent and they get a fresh infusion of folks with top grades out of their class.

Haven't seen anyone mention the underground power of the JOPA (Junior Officer Protection Association). There are typically only 2 0-5s per squadron with a handful of hingehead O-4s. The rest are fun loving (for the most part) and passionate JOs. There are many ways to fight the or rage against the machine (if there is one). Senior folks know this and always say they'd trade paychecks to do over again. I'd like to see a campaign to brainwash JOs. LOL. Read "Punk's War" by Ward Carroll for life in a squadron with all the personalities and situations and rites of passage (good and bad).

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Iron Eagle is terrible, but SO fun to watch.

Thank God, maybe I wasn't the only one riding my bike with a walkman strapped to my thigh blasting Queen's "One Vision".

Chappy was so F*&%ing cool.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Welcome to the board! I'll try to answer the questions I can.

This is extremely variable. The jet pipeline is the longest. .

I would say that the E2/C2 pipeline is the longest....especially if you factor in the unavoidable 'pools' at the beginning of each stage of flight school. My .02.

Recidivist

Oh, I'm not afraid of being brainwashed, but I don't really like crappy movies. that's what scares me. Like being stuck on a 12 hour flight where you can't sleep and the only movies on are "Herbie: fully loaded" and "A lot like love." That sh!t is torture.

Well, Merry Christmas.

Could anybody give a little insight as to what a cruise might be like, and what buildups are like. thanks.