• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

some complaining and questions

johnsmith3168

Alright, it is time for me to complain.

I graduated OCS in August, then graduated school in December. I was waiting for approval from NAMI before I could take my commission and in February I finally had all my ducks in a row. I took my commission on July 4th and have had orders for Sept 8th TBS since February. In June the OSO I had been working with for two years moved on. So since June I have had a new OSO.

On Tuesday, one week before I was leaving for TBS, I got a phone call from my OSO that I was rolled back to the March TBS next year. So now that I have quit my job, moved all my things to storage and not renewed my lease I am trying to figure out what to do. I am living on a buddies couch and I can't stay here...

I went to see my OSO (he is a two and a half hour drive from me) and asked if I could take my records and try to report to TBS on Sept 8th since that is the only written orders I have. I made it clear it would have been on my dime. He said absolutely not and that I would be wasting my time because TBS has a list of who is supposed to report and I wouldn't be on it. So that is understandable...

Now comes the good stuff:

I wanted to apply for PTAD or TAD but the only written orders that I have are for Sept 8th. I asked my OSO for a copy of the March orders and he said that I will get them if TBS sends them. Is there some one I can contact at TBS so I can get a copy of my orders and apply for TAD? My OSO just "doesn't have the time" to make the call or produce them.

And the second thing is that my flight physical expires on Sept 19th. My OSO also flat out refuses to get me another one saying that TBS will take care of it when I report in March. Do I have to worry about losing my flight contract because I am not staying current and flight qualified?

This all seems a little ridiculous to me. I apologize if these are stupid questions too... I am just in shock and pretty frustrated. Seems a little beyond semper gumby if you ask me.

Thank you for reading this and sharing thoughts, opinions.

murryton

pilot
The flight surgeon at Quantico will give you (and the rest of the Lieutenants) a flight physical at TBS. You won't get your flight contract taken away if your flight physical expires. All I had when I reported to TBS in July of 07 with regards to flight physicals was an Army flight physical. It took multiple Saturdays to get a complete flight physical with the rest of Echo 07, but it got done. You'll also have to get a flight physical in Pensacola if you've never had one there before.

Also, don't freak out about not being sent to TBS until March: that kind of thing happens to a lot of people. They'll make all of the Academy and ROTC guys go through first, as they're already on the governments dime. Then they may make the bulk 7599's wait if they want a whole bunch of 9901's (ground contracts) for a class. As long as you are physically qualified and signed a flight contract before commissioning, they aren't going to take it away unless you voluntarily give it to them.

johnsmith3168

Thank you for the info! I wasn't sure what to make of it and couldn't find the information anywhre. I am glad to know that it will all work out. Just sucks waiting...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Apparently, they are out of money and aren't letting newly commissioned LT's do PTAD for now.

Good gouge. PTAD isn't happening.

Odd that this guy is getting pushed back. The CO of Mike Company told me a couple weeks ago that Golf is probably only going to pick up with about 260 LTs, rather than the 300 that has been the norm for the past couple years because the need isn't there anymore...

MasterBates

I've said it before.. But I still think it's fucked up that the Marines bone their JOs like this.. Guy quits job, puts stuff in storage, and then gets the rug yanked out from under him.. And the Big Green Gun Club seems to not really give a flying fuck.

I saw it happen to a friend from home, know a few guys from flight school it happened to as well.

Clux4

Banned
I've said it before.. But I still think it's fucked up that the Marines bone their JOs like this.. Guy quits job, puts stuff in storage, and then gets the rug yanked out from under him.. And the Big Green Gun Club seems to not really give a flying fuck.

I saw it happen to a friend from home, know a few guys from flight school it happened to as well.

I am not sure it is a USMC only thing. I know of an Airforce ROTC guy waiting to report to flight school who is also in the same situation. Truth be told, the services cannot pick up that tab.
Think about a guy going to flight school for a brief second. If you add up the time he sits around before he starts TBS and the time after TBS where he is stashed up at PCola; the beanies will add up real fast for the 1000 Lt's during an FY. It is f'd up but ............

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get used to it. We are somewhere between broke and practicing to be broke.
In the 90s PTAD with the OSO was unheard of it was "go get a job see you in 6 months Lieutenant". The only ones who might be able to work something are prior enlisted reservists with an established relationship at a reserve unit that has money.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Good gouge. PTAD isn't happening.

Odd that this guy is getting pushed back. The CO of Mike Company told me a couple weeks ago that Golf is probably only going to pick up with about 260 LTs, rather than the 300 that has been the norm for the past couple years because the need isn't there anymore...

Concur. Im pretty close to a retired Marine O-6 who is personal friends with the CO of TBS and was told that Golf would only pick up with about 250 LTs. I only know of 2 LTs going in Golf and apparently almost all of the recent OCS commissions are going in FY'10.

Im really surprised that they pushed your orders so close to your report date. I know of a lot of people who were pushed but it was back in may and june. I almost wonder if the word of your orders came through the wire a while ago and somehow got lost in translation until now.

Clux4

Banned
Get used to it. We are somewhere between broke and practicing to be broke.
In the 90s PTAD with the OSO was unheard of it was "go get a job see you in 6 months Lieutenant". The only ones who might be able to work something are prior enlisted reservists with an established relationship at a reserve unit that has money.

Yeap, GWOT wells are drying faster than people know it!

Raptor2216

The new fiscal year is right around the corner....might bring in some more money for PTAD. I suppose you could just leech off the parents for a few months...no?