• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some advise on a stronger package.

KY-Pete

I am submitting my package to the board on 14 Apr. 2006, and I just wanted to know if anyone had any feedback to help make a stronger package. I am kind of nervous that I may get rejected; here is what I have so far:

Age 24

BS in Aviation from Eastern Kentucky University

Some Flight Hours

GPA 2.7 (its low I know)

Preferences: Pilot, NFO, AMDO

AOR 47
AQR 5
PFAR 6
FOFAR 5

LORs
Navy Lt. (ret) ex-pilot, professor
Army Lt. (ret) ex-pilot, professor/Head of Aviation program
Army Capt. (ret)
Working on getting a KY Congressman

I have an older brother in the Navy that is a 1st Class Petty Officer that said my package looks decent. But I want it to be as strong as possible because these are very competitive jobs! Finally, I feel that my motivational statement was true, sincere, and well written. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me??

fighterpfeif

ASTB could be better, I think. LOR look good as long as the people writing them know who you are. I wouldn't worry about the Congressman and get somebody who knows you well.

In truth no one on this site could tell you if your package is great or horrible, that is up to the board. Look around some people have high GPAs, CFI ratings, ASTB scores full of 9s and they don't get picked up.

Just apply and see what happens. I am in the same boat that you are in, my package is somewhere with the boards (submitted it back on March 17th haven't heard anything since and I can't stop thinking about it). The big thing is to apply and if you get rejected apply again and again and again and again, until finally someone says that you have to stop because of age or medical. If you want it bad enough you won't stop until they flat out and say stop because we absolutely can't look at it now for some reason.

For this board the worse that can happen is you get rejected, doesn't mean that you can't stop, you might get selected for something (NFO or AMDO) and have the time of your life in the Navy. But just apply and apply and apply. That is what everyone on this site will tell you to do. Don't be nervous, get your mind off the boards while your package is gone, I would recommend working out and doing something about getting ready for the PRT, shift your focus so you are not dewelling on it for the time it is gone. Working out has helped me to relax and feel that I am doing something more to prepare myself.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
As mentioned above, keep at them. You can take the ASTB up tp 3 times before you're locked in to your scores. Right now, that seems like your biggest negative. The gpa is important, but can be looked at differently if you're strong in other areas. Submit a package and see what happens... yes or no, you can study up on your ASTB gouge and set yourself up for success the next go-around. You can also apply to the other services, if you think that they'll work for you in terms of lifestyle, etc. Good luck!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A stronger package?
Check out Tenacious D, I think they have the answers to all your package questions.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
A stronger package?
Check out Tenacious D, I think they have the answers to all your package questions.

I was gonna let someone else make the joke.

The thread title is just too easy.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't comment except I hate when people spell "advice" as "advise", but I am quirky like that! Without Riddle, I'd be an English major!!

Wannab_a1525

Graduate classes count towards your Graduate GPA, they have nothing to do with your Undergrad, if that's what your asking.

Wannab_a1525

KY-Pete said:
I am submitting my package to the board on 14 Apr. 2006, and I just wanted to know if anyone had any feedback to help make a stronger package. I am kind of nervous that I may get rejected; here is what I have so far:

Age 24

BS in Aviation from Eastern Kentucky University

Some Flight Hours

GPA 2.7 (its low I know)

Preferences: Pilot, NFO, AMDO

AOR 47
AQR 5
PFAR 6
FOFAR 5

LORs
Navy Lt. (ret) ex-pilot, professor
Army Lt. (ret) ex-pilot, professor/Head of Aviation program
Army Capt. (ret)
Working on getting a KY Congressman

I have an older brother in the Navy that is a 1st Class Petty Officer that said my package looks decent. But I want it to be as strong as possible because these are very competitive jobs! Finally, I feel that my motivational statement was true, sincere, and well written. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me??

Your GPA could be a little higher, I thought the Cut off for AMDO was a 3.0 GPA? As for a stronger package, it all depends on who's looking at it. When I first applied for AMDO in Jun.'05, I was not selected. I was just starting my master's degree, now I have two classes left until I’m done, having your M.S. degree weighs heavily on a package. Your write-ups have to be solid! You should try and get them from people you know (well). Its better that way, they’ll put more emphasis in your write-up. I had solid write-up's from 5 - 1315's (2 - O6's, 2 - O5's and 1 - O -4), 1-O5 who was a 1520, 1 write-up from a Retired AF 1-star, who was the head of the USAF's flight safety program at the pentagon in 2002, an awesome write-from my CO, I was BJOQ, BJOY, EP's across the board and a “lot” of Aviation Maintenance (12 years). The board seems to key in on that aspect of a package, hence “Aviation Maintenance” Duty Officer. I did beat one guy out who I knew, and I think my Aviation Maintenance background was stronger than his, I’ve worked on more platforms. And I’ve worked on all 3-levels of maintenance (O, I, and Depot). Finally, this past February I was selected for AMDO, I only submitted my package twice. I know others who have submitted their packages 4, 5, even 6 times before getting selected. So don’t give up. I almost did, I told my self after the first time, “I was never applying again”.

Officertob

I know that I am in a totally different field, but all packages are similar in some respect. Your GPA is a little below 3.0, so what. Still submit your package and try to build up your portfolio. Try taking some graduate coursework and yes definitely get strong evals. If you don't make it the first time try try again. Do not give up, if this is your dream , go for it...Believe in Yourself!!!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I travelled back in time...
silky.jpg