• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flyingwonder

I am in college and currently I am enrolled in AF ROTC (don't get me started, I know). I was just wondering if anyone could give 5-10 solid reasons why I should drop it and go Navy OCS. My biggest problem with AFROTC is that I have to drive an hour to get to the college where it is held. Plus I am going to have some major scheduling problems later on. All I know is that I want to be a pilot and those wings of gold are a whole lot more appealing that AF lead ones. As you can tell I am heavily leaning tword OCS, but I want some outside opinions.
banghead_125.gif

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Landing on the boat, Now that's cool... :)

I went the Navy OCS route and it was the best thing that I ever did. I think that the flying we do in the Navy cannot be matched anywhere!

nk2985

I am currently a midshipman at Purdue University and have talked to quite a few people in the Navy and Air Force before I decided to go Navy. After talking to over 60 Naval Aviators and Air Force pilots here is what I have found:

1. Naval Aviation presents the most challenges. What can compare to landing on a pitching carrier deck at night in the Air Force?

2. Naval Aviation seems to be much more laid back. Air Force guys tend to be "overly professional" in how they operate on a daily basis at the squadron level.

3. Look at Afghanistan. Navy tactical jets were there long before Air Force fighter jets were on scene because of carrier capability.

4.After getting your wings in the Air Force, you owe 10 years, verses 8 in the Navy. That could make a big difference if you plan on getting out and doing other things.

5. The Navy is right off the coast in most cases and usually doesnt have to negotiate for overflight rights and doesnt need ground bases for tactical jets.

I know this is biased but I believe there is much truth in it.

Meridiani

Originally posted by Flyingwonder
All I know is that I want to be a pilot and those wings of gold are a whole lot more appealing that AF lead ones.

Aside from the scheduling incovenience for AFROTC, you haven't given us any supporting rationale for your above statement. Why do you suddenly find the Navy more appealing? Interservice rivalry and joking aside, each branch of the military has its pros and cons, and each has a unique culture. So, what's right for me may not be right for you. Sit down and figure out your goals and priorities, and then determine which branch is the best match for you. Make an appointment to speak with a Navy officer recruiter before you drop out of AFROTC.

I'd hate to think that you would actually make an important career decision based on the opinions of total strangers on an internet forum.
williamtell_125.gif

F

Flyingwonder

Navy was actually my first choice right out of high school. I actually know much more about the Navy than I do the Air Force. I am merely exploring my options. At the moment my pro list for the Navy is growing, while my pro-list for Air Force is shrinking. I am just interested in seeing what others of the Navy persuasion have to say about the service and why they chose Navy. I intend to speak to my Air Force advisor about what my chances are for getting pilot, or even in the POC program for that matter, are. I will also talk to an officer recruiter. I am not one to make hasty decisions where my future is concerned. The biggest factor would be whether I would have a better chance at getting a pilot slot in the Navy than the Air Force. I've got some time. I'm just looking for some good advise and/or opinions.

I'm pretty sure you've got a better shot in the Air Force, i.e. it's easier. That's how the numbers appear to work out although there could always be more to the story.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
can't you do AFROTC and then go to Navy Flight school? I thought that you had to serve for X number of years, but that you could go into a different service. I might be wrong.

Ben

riley

Meridiani has good advice.

I'd be wary of choosing a service because you percieve it to be easier. That's like someone choosing a wife for the simple reason that she likes him - never mind the fact that he is not attracted to her at all. Go for the service you want to be in.

If your sole deciding quality is that one particular service is easier to get into - and you choose that service, you probably won't be happy. Think about it - you won't be the only one like that - where is the pride?? You'll just have a bunch of grumbling co-workers counting down the days until their time is up. That is the last thing you want to have.

In my own experience with the Air Force (2 years of working with a recruiting office before I got smart and applied to the Marines) there is a complete lack of pride, no honesty, and most everyone is unhappy with their current situation. That may just be that recruiting office, I don't know - I just know I don't want to be a part of that...

To complete my ramblings, pick what you want, what you know you would enjoy, not what other people say is best for you or what seems to be the easiest route. Too many people in this world already have settled for what was easy, comfortable, and safe - don't be one of those casualties.

eaw75

while the air force has some pretty awful locations, it has its perks too. their standard of living is much higher. as a naval aviator, you WILL be out to sea, and more often than not. in an 18 month cycle, you'll have 6 months shore time, 6 months of work-ups (where you spend atleast 50% of that time at sea), and then another 6-9 months at sea. the living spaces are cramped, noisy and uncomfortable. and forget about a family life. just some things to think about.

aviatormo

Like you I too started AFROTC for 2 years, did there little 5 week officer hooyaa for the summer at Tyndall AFB, completed that and decided the AF was not for me. I did not like the idea that I could finish my last 2 years of AFROTC, and not get a pilot slot. So I stopped ROTC, and my last year of college submitted a package with the Navy. A week and a half later I was accepted to go to OCS as a pilot canidate. I love the Navy. Not to say that the Air Force is bad because each branch has it purpose and is good at what they do. However the Air Force can't land a fighter jet on a Carrier in total blackness on a bad weather night in rough seas. The Navy/Marine Corps don't face the political issues that the Air Force faces as far as using another countries Air bases etc. The carrier parks 12 mi off the coast and takes care of business. The Air Force has a larger budget for aircraft and doesn't have to split their budget between ships, subs, and planes. From what I hear the bases are nicer and quality of life is better but I have no personal experience. I will be selecting in about a month so I don't have all the experience in the world, but so far the Navy was the best choice I could've made. I hope things work out for you and I am sure that as long as you are flying you will be happy.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You cannot just attend AFROTC and take a commission in the Navy or otherwise go to naval flight training. You have to do a branch transfer and it is rarely given to newly commissioned officers. As an example, in the '03 graduating class of the AFA just one guy took a commision in another service, the Marines.

Status
Not open for further replies.