• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Solving the Navy's problems one RC squadron at a time

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Wow…Greeseman!
During my nugget cruise my roomate (from Bowie, MD) would play the Greeseman every morning on the "boom box" in our stateroom. His mom would send him casette tapes recorded daily. Hilarious. I was annoyed at first but caught on to the hilarity.

taxi1

pilot
Sgt Fury and the Marine Corp band is my favorite, but any time you hear those distant choppers approaching at the beginning of a bit, it's gonna be good.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I'm 12 years late with this joke, but I can't help myself...
Class A x 2.

Mid air collision in 1993. All 4 crew ejected ok (2 Intruders).
Tailpipe failure Resulting in fire while in tension on cat. Aircraft struck.
a6500-1.jpg

You guys didn't fall for it did you?

1679785029929.png

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Edit: The bigger point is that we have a group of people who are tasked with being tactically proficient and ready to go when the balloon goes up . . . and that's the active component. It's silly to think that the most effective use of reservists is aping the AC. Far better to look at where the AC has gaps and use the RC to complement or augment things. Do we really need reserve hardware squadrons slotted into deployments supporting COCOM OPLANS? Or is the right use of those folks things like adversary support, VR, and all the non-glamorous non-flying things like NALEs and filling staff billets? I'd argue the latter. You can't expect people with civilian jobs to keep their fighting skills as sharp as the AC O-3s through O-5s that already fill our AC squadrons. So why try?
Late on the reply to this and by no means an impartial judge on the matter, but I think that's a narrow perspective on the role that 209 plays. 209 supports exercise like Red Flag, the Neptunes, and also supports the VFCs during SFARP. Our jets are the only AESA radars in the TSW inventory which is an important consideration for VFC support (and is a reason that they ask for our support). Flying in those other high visibility exercises also reduces the burden on the active component and allows them to get a break during their maintenance phase as opposed to being continually run ragged. It's great training for us too. Plus our INDOPACOM deployment was closer to 4 months. That is a pedantic point and yes it is shorter than the AC. The squadron is also making a concerted effort to shed the flying club reputation. To that end, it's becoming a repository for every patch getting off active duty.

Could the squadron be better utilized? Ya probably. Using different order types (i.e. not always mob-ing) is one approach that elicits strong opinions. From what I gather, 209 was heavily utilized in the 00's so there is a precedent. I would argue that our squadron is better utilized than some other assets in the reserve (F-5s out of New Orleans comes to mind) and serves an important role. Plus to your point it is augmenting the fleet and filling AC gaps. Moreover, the talent retention aspect is pretty important element. The Navy has spent beaucoup dollars training us, so why not continue to retain that capability in the reserves. Does that translate into an uber-squadron? Probably not. But I think you're being overly generous in describing an AC squadron as a repository of tactical prowess, particularly at the O-4+ level.

With an eye to the balloon going up, that effort is going to require a level of manpower that I think is hard to comprehend. Getting rid of 209 (or similar operational capabilities) doesn't directly translate into increased AC capability, particularly in this retention environment. So more is better in my opinion.

red_stang65

pilot
Late on the reply to this and by no means an impartial judge on the matter, but I think that's a narrow perspective on the role that 209 plays. 209 supports exercise like Red Flag, the Neptunes, and also supports the VFCs during SFARP. Our jets are the only AESA radars in the TSW inventory which is an important consideration for VFC support (and is a reason that they ask for our support). Flying in those other high visibility exercises also reduces the burden on the active component and allows them to get a break during their maintenance phase as opposed to being continually run ragged. It's great training for us too. Plus our INDOPACOM deployment was closer to 4 months. That is a pedantic point and yes it is shorter than the AC. The squadron is also making a concerted effort to shed the flying club reputation. To that end, it's becoming a repository for every patch getting off active duty.

Could the squadron be better utilized? Ya probably. Using different order types (i.e. not always mob-ing) is one approach that elicits strong opinions. From what I gather, 209 was heavily utilized in the 00's so there is a precedent. I would argue that our squadron is better utilized than some other assets in the reserve (F-5s out of New Orleans comes to mind) and serves an important role. Plus to your point it is augmenting the fleet and filling AC gaps. Moreover, the talent retention aspect is pretty important element. The Navy has spent beaucoup dollars training us, so why not continue to retain that capability in the reserves. Does that translate into an uber-squadron? Probably not. But I think you're being overly generous in describing an AC squadron as a repository of tactical prowess, particularly at the O-4+ level.

With an eye to the balloon going up, that effort is going to require a level of manpower that I think is hard to comprehend. Getting rid of 209 (or similar operational capabilities) doesn't directly translate into increased AC capability, particularly in this retention environment. So more is better in my opinion.
All of those examples of utilization are great, and totally agree with your last point about the “all hands on deck” requirement we’re likely to expect. Too bad none of that was considered prior to this decision:

ChuckMK23

pilot
All of those examples of utilization are great, and totally agree with your last point about the “all hands on deck” requirement we’re likely to expect. Too bad none of that was considered prior to this decision:

Big Navy has been gunning to shutdown this squadron for years. It's definitely a loss of capability and the mission set has been discussed at length. Ultimately bean counters made the call.

It did not help the cause to have the HH-60W defined as having organic Maritime deployment capability as part of its core requirements.20230326_192207.jpg

red_stang65

pilot
Big Navy has been gunning to shutdown this squadron for years. It's definitely a loss of capability and the mission set has been discussed at length. Ultimately bean counters made the call.

It did not help the cause to have the HH-60W defined as having organic Maritime deployment capability as part of its core requirements.View attachment 37875
Considering USAF reduced their purchase from +100 down to the mid-70s, the Whiskey never factored into the conversation about CNAFR end strength.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Considering USAF reduced their purchase from +100 down to the mid-70s, the Whiskey never factored into the conversation about CNAFR end strength.
The AF rescue units are training - and have been - to deploy from Navy decks for extended periods to support joint air campaign operations. Single spot decks, amphibs, LHD, CVN as well as expeditionary barge /sea base. To support AF, USN and USMC air ops.The W will be the tool of choice for non-permissive rescue/recovery/PR of AF, Navy, or Marine aircrew. And for significantly longer range ops, CV-22B.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AF rescue units are training - and have been - to deploy from Navy decks for extended periods to support joint air campaign operations. Single spot decks, amphibs, LHD, CVN as well as expeditionary barge /sea base. To support AF, USN and USMC air ops.The W will be the tool of choice for non-permissive rescue/recovery/PR of AF, Navy, or Marine aircrew. And for significantly longer range ops, CV-22B.
While there certainly have been one off demos of this capability (at least with CV-22), I wasn’t under the impression that this was something that USAF rescue units typically trained to, especially for extended periods. Do you have any examples of it?

hscs

pilot

It did not help the cause to have the HH-60W defined as having organic Maritime deployment capability as part of its core requirements.View attachment 37875
Kinda missing the point- HSC-85 primary mission is SOF not traditional CSAR. The discussion should be more centered on EABO and the loss of that capability and capacity to covertly move people to islands or IVO islands and operate from an austere location with a light footprint. That is not easy to do and there wI’ll be a ton of lost knowledge once the doors close.

Don’t know much about the W, but my guess is that it isn’t very maritime deployment capable. USAF just said that to get the cash they needed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Yeah, @ChuckMK23 you keep coming at this from a capabilities stand point, but that's not what this was about. And it's not just CNAFR that suffered. When I had lunch a year and a half ago with one of the dudes that's in the front office of MSW now, he said it boiled down to CNAF needing money. The reason I kept hearing from both the AC side and the RC side was the F-35, but red_stang65 is probably closer to that than I would know now.

Because CNAF needed the money, they started cutting costs. That included getting rid of a lot of the MSW rotary pieces (units, billets, etc), but it also included cutting funding for parts on the AC side, causing everyone to have PMC airframes on the line. Hell, HSM-41 would have 30 airframes on the line and the only ones that were FMC were the three Indian birds (who usually break every other day anyway, they're just able to get parts).

Does this result in a capabilities loss on the RC side, especially within MSW? Absolutely, but at the end of the day, no bucks, no Buck Rogers.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Kinda missing the point- HSC-85 primary mission is SOF not traditional CSAR. The discussion should be more centered on EABO and the loss of that capability and capacity to covertly move people to islands or IVO islands and operate from an austere location with a light footprint. That is not easy to do and there wI’ll be a ton of lost knowledge once the doors close.

Don’t know much about the W, but my guess is that it isn’t very maritime deployment capable. USAF just said that to get the cash they needed.
Yeah, I'd say there's a notable difference between Maritime employable and maritime deployable. There's a reason Seahawks have blade fold, 401x vice 701x engines, etc. Refueling, embarking SOF, or even spending a week on an ESB is a lot easier than months on a surface combatant. The ways in which a 60S isn't like a 60B,F,H,R have already shown themselves to be limiters in maritime deployment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
401x vice 701x engines,

Care to expand on that? Are the the 701s more delicate in the maritime environment? I get that to actually use them and still keep the same tranny, the blades would need to be changed, but was curious if there was something specific about 701s that make you say what you did.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Care to expand on that? ... curious if there was something specific about 701s that make you say what you did.
Now I want to know more too. The only difference I'm pretty sure about is compressor blade coating on the 401s to better protect against salt spray. We're working 401D stuff now, so it's a perfect time to ask the T700 team - Google doesn't have much.