• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, you're going to Japan on you midshipmen cruise, be sure to . . .

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, just starting this thread for any midshipmen going on a summer cruise to Yokosuka.

First things first. . . the coffee in the vending machines is freaking excellent. It's definitely one of the things that I miss. Make sure to try one of those.

Second, get a beef bowl, I don't know what the place is called, but if you walk down blue street it's probably about a mile down on the right if you're facing away from the base. They have a little circle that has red yellow and blue involved with the sign. The beefbowl cost 450 yen when I was there for the large one, it is absolutely awesome.

Third, there is a restaurant that you have to check out. I have no idea what it's called but can tell you where it's at. If you go to the hotel new yokosuka(about 2 blocks straight out the main gate on your left) stand at the door and the restaurant is on the oposite side of the street to your right. It is one of those places that you buy the meat and cook it yourself on the burner that is part of the table. It was absolutely excellent.

Fourth STAY AWAY FROM HABU SAKE!!! I can't stress this enough. It's not worth it, the stuff will knock your ass out and you will have no clue what the hell happened the rest of the night.

Fifth, don't eat the corn dogs that are oposite the main gate on the right. They taste like absolute crap, but if you're drunk they're not bad.

There is also a sushi bar on the blue street. It is also on the right side, but closer to the base than the beef bowl place.

That's all I can think of right now, and will let you know if I think of anything else.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fourth STAY AWAY FROM HABU SAKE!!! I can't stress this enough. It's not worth it, the stuff will knock your ass out and you will have no clue what the hell happened the rest of the night.

BS.

If a Japanese person offers you Habu Sake, accept and drink up. That's hospitality and you're representing the US as well as USN. It's bad form to refuse something offered (as long as you don't have some personal thing against drinking...freak).

I'm finishing (2 years and 7 months to date) an exchange with a foreign navy. I try EVERYTHING they offer at least one time (within reason, at this point I can tell when someone is messing with me). You never know when someone's dead grandfather hand crafted that native moonshine/preserves/jerkey/whatever, and how far taking one sample can get you.

Look at it this way, if you hosting a foreigner and you offered them the "native" drink (Yuengling Lager, Shiner Bock, bourbon from wherever, etc) and they refused, you'd be a little reticent to offer more hospitality. Accept at least one.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
BS.

If a Japanese person offers you Habu Sake, accept and drink up. That's hospitality and you're representing the US as well as USN. It's bad form to refuse something offered (as long as you don't have some personal thing against drinking...freak).

Look at it this way, if you hosting a foreigner and you offered them the "native" drink (Yuengling Lager, Shiner Bock, bourbon from wherever, etc) and they refused, you'd be a little reticent to offer more hospitality. Accept at least one.

Okay, I was refering to someone from the ship buying it as a right of passage type thing. I wasn't thinking about a Japanese person offering up Habu Sake. Honestly, I wouldn't expect that either. Maybe a regular sake, but not habu sake.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, I was refering to someone from the ship buying it as a right of passage type thing. I wasn't thinking about a Japanese person offering up Habu Sake. Honestly, I wouldn't expect that either. Maybe a regular sake, but not habu sake.

Booze with a JMSDF squadron. It's inevitable. But I see your point.

Take the drink. No one is forcing you to take a bite out of the snake.

Makes for a good story though.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Okay, just starting this thread for any midshipmen going on a summer cruise to Yokosuka.

First things first. . . the coffee in the vending machines is freaking excellent. It's definitely one of the things that I miss. Make sure to try one of those.

Third, there is a restaurant that you have to check out. I have no idea what it's called but can tell you where it's at. If you go to the hotel new yokosuka(about 2 blocks straight out the main gate on your left) stand at the door and the restaurant is on the oposite side of the street to your right. It is one of those places that you buy the meat and cook it yourself on the burner that is part of the table. It was absolutely excellent.

When I went back last summer I always made it a point to get something different each time I was at the vending machine, not to mention there are vending machines with more than just beverages and cigarettes.

Wow that place has been around for a while, I think its Korean something something. Definitely good food.

Food.... try to eat as much Japanese/Asian food as possible. Remember, you can always get a cheeseburger back at home.

I cant remember the exact name, but its basically in the shape of a hockey puck and has different fillings in it, something like dor-e-aki. Its really good.

Oh yeah, Blueberry gum, that stuff is really good, although doesnt last long.

Also try and check out the park that is next to the base, its to the left when you go out the gate.

Couple of random cultural items I remember...

Do not put your chopsticks into the rice bowl, it means death to the host.

Its a strange sight, but it is accepted to see Japanese men using the street as the urinal.

Plastic food... great for overcoming the language barrier

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Couple of random cultural items I remember...

Remember...tipping is considered an insult in Japan, unlike the US where jerkoffs wants tips for doing their job.

Also, this may sound simple, but use the ATMs on base to get Yen, otherwise you'll be fucking lost trying to use one out in town.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
During introductions to Japanese individuals don't make an attempt to shake hands, bow instead. If they want to initiate a handshake with you because your american, fine but typically they don't like shaking hands. Also, attempt to say simple things (like hello, goodbye, thank you etc) they will appreciate your attempts to respect their culture.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I just found out that I'll be heading to Sasebo before cruise. Is there anything to do there (assuming the ship doesn't leave immediately)?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During introductions to Japanese individuals don't make an attempt to shake hands, bow instead. If they want to initiate a handshake with you because you, fine but typically they don't like shaking hands. Also, attempt to say simple things (like hello, goodbye, thank you etc) they will appreciate your attempts to respect their culture.

Plus say "Hai!" a lot (with a slight bow) - it's fun, even if you have no idea what people are saying. :D

Brett

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
HD, try not to put specific port calls out. OPSEC is something to be considered on a public forum.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Stay away from Habu-Saki and pink elephants. Do drink the Georgia Coffee from the vending machines. Buy random drinks at the grocery store...you never know what your going to get (untill you have a stiff buzz).

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
What Brett said. It is very impolite to show that you have no idea what the hell is going on in a conversation in Japan, so just nod a lot, say 'Hai' or 'so desu', and try to figure it out later. You earn mad points by just sitting there being polite.

Take...the...drink. You WILL insult a Japanese person that buys you a drink if you don't accept it. Man up, G.

If you've got time off, take at least a day and ride the train/subway somewhere and see something cool. There's plenty of it in Japan, and while the train system may seem a bit daunting at first, it's actually pretty easy to figure out. Plus, the Japanese will be thrilled to help you, so long as you're not acting the fool and you ask nicely.

Don't get freaked out if people stare at you, because it's just something they do there. It's not considered impolite in their culture, so don't take any offense. Besides, you'll probably find at least one or two girls worth staring at. Just remember to ask, "Nan sai desu ka," before you attempt to seal the deal. (It means, "How old are you?")

Have to go control some aircraft right now, but I'll be happy to provide any more gouge tomorrow when my op is done. Send PMs if you have specific questions.

And despite what Brett says, stay away from the 'soapland' parlors in Hiroshima.