• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So who can tell me....about OCS, TBS and tattoos?

teabag53

pilot
I do not have any tattoos, but I DO want one (or two) after OCS. I have been told that having a tattoo can keep you from promotions and certain jobs as an officer...

Just wanted to see who knew what on this one...

Perhaps you can get a sweet aviation supply or adjutant cool-guy badass tatty. I'm thinking "Death before 12 pt Times New Roman" with a skull and cross-keyboards or something of the like. You may want to re-evaluate why you want to join the Corps if shit like this is really that important to you.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
It's official. And yes, it's run the second half of the year. It's not too bad, has more of a sprint mentality to it.

E26

Perhaps you can get a sweet aviation supply or adjutant cool-guy badass tatty.

If you're going supply, you'll definitely want to get this!

todo-tattoo.jpg

Lights Out

Perhaps you can get a sweet aviation supply or adjutant cool-guy badass tatty. I'm thinking "Death before 12 pt Times New Roman" with a skull and cross-keyboards or something of the like. You may want to re-evaluate why you want to join the Corps if shit like this is really that important to you.

sea-shepherd2.jpg

YES...oh wait...hold on

GeorgiaMarine

the comments like " you need to re-evaluate why you want to join the corps" really have bothered me. I guess you seem to think that I want to join and get a tattoo.. When the case is I am currently serving and wish to getthe tattoo. And to go one step further your post, while aimed at being funny was not. It was not even an attempt at being helpful in any way. So, please re-evaluate why you are posting on a forum where people want help not pointless dribble.

Now, any one with any real experience have some words of wisdom?

phrogpilot73

Here's the thing - you can follow the letter of the law with regards to the tattoo policy and be fine for now. However, as evidenced by the MarAdmin preventing Marines who were grandfathered from serving as recruiters or Marine Security Guards, the policy can change and limit opportunities in the future. I know officers who have tattoos (I have one). However, almost all of us (with one or two exceptions) have tattoos that are NOT visible AT ALL in PT Gear. That's your best bet to keep all options open.

Not to mention if you do a minimum commitment and get out - some employers aren't super-keen on tattoos either.

GeorgiaMarine

Here's the thing - you can follow the letter of the law with regards to the tattoo policy and be fine for now. However, as evidenced by the MarAdmin preventing Marines who were grandfathered from serving as recruiters or Marine Security Guards, the policy can change and limit opportunities in the future. I know officers who have tattoos (I have one). However, almost all of us (with one or two exceptions) have tattoos that are NOT visible AT ALL in PT Gear. That's your best bet to keep all options open.

Not to mention if you do a minimum commitment and get out - some employers aren't super-keen on tattoos either.

Thank You!! I will consider the "hidden places" for tattoos.

teabag53

pilot
the comments like " you need to re-evaluate why you want to join the corps" really have bothered me. I guess you seem to think that I want to join and get a tattoo.. When the case is I am currently serving and wish to getthe tattoo. And to go one step further your post, while aimed at being funny was not. It was not even an attempt at being helpful in any way. So, please re-evaluate why you are posting on a forum where people want help not pointless dribble.

My REAL EXPERIENCE makes me skeptical of folks like you that seemingly want to be a Marine but make effort to distance themselves as far as possible from what Marines actually exist to do...conduct combined arms operations. That, coupled with an entire thread about tattoos in lieu 'how do I best succeed and not fuck it up' make me doubt your mettle when it comes to being an officer in our Corps. In fact, a less lazy person might excercise some initiative and reference the actual regulations regarding the tattoo policy...just a thought.

At the end of the day the tattoo policy is spelled our for you and leaves little room for interpretation. The common sense portion is on you and shouldn't need to be taught by members of this forum. Perhaps you wish to save your keystrokes for things that aren't spelled out for you?

I wouldn't necessarily say you sound like you 'want to join and get a tattoo' but it does sound like you are more interested in being on the team than playing as a starter.

I've taken the liberty of boldfacing what should be helpful to you since you apparently can't get it on your own.

Lastly, I do have the background to judge you so think twice about what you refer to as drivel.

GeorgiaMarine

Teabag53, "folks like me" huh? you are quite the interesting poster.

Anyway, I am aware of the regulations I am seeking opinions in tattoos and being an officer. This is a really basic topic. Just wanting thoughts from officers who have tattoos and if they ever have issues with having them for any reason.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I've never understood this lecture on initiative. If you can convince someone to do something for you when they would not normally be inclined to do it, wouldn't that display a high level of initiative?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Teabag53, "folks like me" huh? you are quite the interesting poster.

Anyway, I am aware of the regulations I am seeking opinions in tattoos and being an officer. This is a really basic topic. Just wanting thoughts from officers who have tattoos and if they ever have issues with having them for any reason.

Many of us on this board are officers; the fact that most of us do not have tatts should be a clue to you. Yes, I know a few folks who do have visible ones, though most of them got inked while they were enlisted and were thus grandfathered in with the tatts. It is uncommon, and could concievably draw undue attention to you, which is not really what you want as a junior O. That said, do what you want man.....just be sure that it is something that you want on your body in 15-20 years when you want to go out as a civvie and look like a professional.

GeorgiaMarine

Eddie, I agree. I guess it got lost in translation or just misunderstood. Just because you ask opinions and seek help from experienced people, it seems to be understood by some that you (in this case me) are lazy, ignorant, or incompetant.
Personally I feel that no one, despite their rank or experience, has the right to judge anyone elses decision for joining the corps, playing on the team, or leaving the team. ESP on a forum where people are seeking helpful advice. I do not wish to get into arguments or heated discussions as this is just an outreach for people to share their experiences.