• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO to SNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayManC

Alright so I applied for SNA/Supply/Crypto, and got word that the first two came back no-go, but the Navy offered me SNFO if I was interested, and BDCP to boot. But here's the deal, I want to be an Officer no doubt about it, but I also want to be an aviator. Now I haven't committed or anything, basically the OPO called to ask if i was interested and if so he'd put in my app, but how hard is it to transition to SNA. I remember reading some posts about it happening, but don't remember the specifics. Any help/advice/(opinions on how much of a schmuck i am for not jumping on this) would be greatly appreciated...

<insert something witty here:>

WFU2USN

JayManC,

I believe that it's after your first tour as an NFO that you can put in to become an SNA so long as you're physically qualified, etc. It's called the NFO to Pilot Transition program.

YOu may be able to find info. at: http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers2/aviation/aviationnew.htm

or on the BUPERS website.

www.bupers.navy.mil

I hope this can help!

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

JayManC

perhaps i was didnt phrase my question correctly, i meant getting the designator changed prior to OCS, I know that once training begins, be it flight school or NFO school then you have to have it approved be your CO. and basically walk on water to get it approved regardless, im trying to figure out if its possible to get a change of designator prior to reporting to OCS

<insert something witty here:>

tali264

yes, it's possible. But that's provided they have SNA slots. And I'm sure you have to have a good reason to switch. I was originally NFO BDCP and I found out when I got my physical (went to a hospital, not MEPS) they had my vision WAY off. So I got a copy of my vision records from my eye doctor. My recruiter sent those down along with a letter written by me requesting to switch to SNA. I don't know what else he sent down there, but I found out in 3 days I was allowed to switch. I'd imagine it wouldn't be possible now though since aviation is packed.

Bushmaster

A question I have been wondering...

What is the age limit for this SNFO to SNA transition program, does anyone know? Robin?

For instance, can a SNFO apply for a SNA transition after his first tour when he is 32, 33 years old?

Thanks....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Transition from NFO to Pilot from the fleet is not really based on age. The number of openings, if any, are determined by year group. That is, your rank and the year you got promoted to that rank. In other words, if the navy thought it was short of Lieutenant pilots in year group 01, they would only open up the transition to NFOs in that year group for only the number of pilots they were projected to be short of. It is done this way to ensure there are the right number of pilots and NFOs to cover all the assignments the navy has for them throughout a career, including command and senior staff. You couldn't end up with all NFO commanding officers. The navy rotates command between NFO and pilot. The final thing you must know is that the more senior you are the less likely you will get the transition. It is expected that a LCDR pilot have the experience of a second tour pilot. They don't want guys on their first cruise as a pilot when he is a more senior officer. To ease the transition and ensure the new pilot has a running start, transition guys almost always go back to the community they came from as an NFO. This often times makes them a superior tactician as a pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.