• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA's service obligation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprint

I just read a website that said the service obligation for pilots is 8 years with only 4 years having to be active. Is this correct? I thought it was 8 years active. Is it going to increase to 10 years like the A/F. What is the Marines service obligation for pilots. Thanks

moestud

So far the latest for pilot is 7yrs for helos/8 for jets from the time of winging, all of which are active "reserves" (everyone gets a USNR commission) until you get to LT or LCDR when you can become USN. So basically you will spend all of your 7-8 years on active duty, unless of course the navy keeps downsizing, then who knows! hehe

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I thought helo's was only 6 years? Don't forget, your service obligation doesn't begin until you're winged. I've been in since November of 2001 and still won't be winged (knock on wood)until this time next year! That's 3 years that hasn't/won't go toward my service obligation!

moestud

Its currently 7 years for helos, 8 for jets. The "change" was noted in my orders out of advanced, as was everyone leaving the same time as me.

I'll tell you, one of the beautiful things about helos (besides being awesome to fly) is it only took me a total of 1 1/2 years to get my wings.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It would appear that Bupers has been playing w/ the requirements over the last year or so.

You know Moestud, you bring up a good point about time to train (TTT). Of course, the pointy nose jet fags have a lot more to "learn" w/ their platform than us helo dudes. So if Jets takes at least 2 years, and helos takes about 1 1/2 years, and P-3s take about a year, I guess we know who's the least prepared... <pokes John in the eye>
icon_smile_wink.gif

moestud

You are definatley right about BUPERS, when I put in my package for later transfer to pilot, it was 6yrs for helos/8 for jets. Then out of API it was 8 for both, think it was the same leaving primary (can't remember) then finally it settled to 7/8. Too bad I am out of orders for a while, I was hoping it would go back down to 6yrs.
bouncy_125.gif

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, they can't sell those jet slots anymore...they've got to up the helo service obligation and tank our bonus to make the playing field even!

av8tor

Ouch, please stop beating on the jet fags and focus your attention on the Academy fags as their student time counts towards retirement.

utrico

Applying for OCS
I am applying USMC and the official papers that I will be signing have helos 6 years and jets 8. Maybe the Navy is different.

av8tor

That's after wings and you'll be required to be affiliated with the IRR for two years after/if you get out. The IRR requires nothing of you except that you be available if needed which I don't believe has ever occurred. IRR - Inactive Ready Reserves.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Av8tor makes a good point (well two, actually...silly academy people). Those times are AFTER your wings. However, this raises the question, are the times based on your initial commisioning orders? I originally had commissioning orders, which stated 7/8 years. However, due to some med hold issues, I was later issued a new set of PCS orders (which are different). At that time, they still said 7/8, but if the policy had changed, I wonder if it would have changed on the orders. Also, what if the policy changes while in flight school? It seems from guys here that their committments ARE changing while already in flight school, depending on when they actually get their wings. Of course, most of this seems to be on the Navy side. I've noticed that the Marines tend to be a bit more organized w/ this stuff, so I'm not sure what the their policy is...plus they have finishing school to attend before hand.

Anybody (phrogdriver) got any insight if they can change the policy midstream. It would seem that they should be able to, but don't know myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.