• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevew

scared_125.gif
Uh Oh, what does that mean!!
goldfish_125.gif

stevew

Originally posted by wink
Point of clarification. Navy Recruiting does not operate on the regular gov fiscal year (oct). For recruiting assession purposes the FY starts 1JUL. Therefore the first FY04 OCS class is 12JUL03. First class of FY05 is 10JUL04. So, if things open up a bit in 05 you would be looking at a class as soon as 10JUL04! Given you should take the test again, the time it takes to get an app together, how long CNRC looks at it, and the adavantage of applying early, we aren't really talking a long wait. See your recruiter about the soonest you should have the app in the mail. Us the time to improve the test scores and your PRT. You guys know you have to pass a swim test now, after slection , but before shipping out to OCS? You need to swim WELL.

I just got off the phone with my recruiter. I had called him so that I could finish putting my app together, that way when SNA opens back up my app will be ready to go out the door. I thought that this seemed logical, but he didn't want to hear anything of it. He said that because SNA is closed and since I'm not applying for anything else he will not help me process my application since I'm not applying for anything. He said that he feels that he is waisting his time helping me complete an app for a closed community. He said that my app will sit on file for the next six months and then goes to the shredder even if SNA isn't open by then.

Am I in the wrong here or is my recruiter taking things a bit overboard? I can accept if I'm wrong, its just that I'm beginning to lose a little faith in my recruiter because this isn't the first time we've banged heads.

kevin

gee, big shocker...im not even going to start. anyway, my advice would be to either A) try once more to reason with him (that's what JESUS WOULD DO, RIGHT?) or better B) talk to a different recruiter. i still think the closed community thing is interesting because i read two people's messages on this site who just recently got accepted for sna. maybe im wrong, but i do think people decide to drop after they've been selected, etc. on the other hand, it might be pointless to send an app if they in fact are not accepting applications. my question is, what else do you need to get to complete your application? as long as you have the resume thing filled out, test scores, LOR's, and couple of signed documents, then your application is complete to send to the board and you only need wait at this point.

BYSun

I suggest you find a different recruiter...If what you relate is accurate, he seems monstrously unprofessional, and in my humble opinion that attitude does not belong in any professional organization (or even an unprofessional one). Never let anything or anyone become an obstacle you cant overcome.

Go to a different recuriter and get a second opinion, even a third. If all else fails, go up the chain of command to the recruiters superior, etc...If you are going to be told no, its best to hear it from higher up the 'food chain' so to speak.

Then again, maybe Im just being a tight A$$.

Good luck,

Bryce

Those who aren't living on the edge are taking up too much space.

basher

Hey stevew,

I think what your recruiter told could be incorrect. I went to a recruiter today to talk about the SNA application process. He told me that the program was really competitive right now, but did not say anything about refusing to submit my application. I still have to take the ASTB and fill out the application, but after that, he will send it out. Like people are saying, there are spots because people are dropping out, it may only be 1 or 2 spots, but thats still an opening. I would seriously suggest talking to another recuiter if your recruiter refuses to submit your application. You never know, your application might be the one they pick for an opening if there is one. There are certain minimum requirements that need to be meet though, make sure you are qualified to apply for pilot. If you are, make sure you find someone who will send it in. Be aggresive. Good Luck.

Basher

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
stevew,
Can't say why your recruiter is responding the way he is. He may be under pressure to work higher priority programs. (News flash..It ain't all about NAVAIR boys)If the Navy needs medical folks real bad, and they do, and he is told to work them, then he does. It is about serving the Navy's needs and meeting the larger goal of manning the Navy with the right people at the right time. Obviously, some recruiters are meeting the challenge a different way. You could go to his boss the OPO, but he may be giving him his marching orders. And the comment that there isn't much to let to do but forward an application shows understandable ignorance of the system. The processor and recruiter put hours into an application for you guys. As to timeing, I would think the fall, unless you got lucky and picked up one of the ones that refused to ship. Since your recruiter doesn't seem to want to work you, you could consider another guy, but they are mindful of poaching. If you are in college in another area than home try that recruiter, or vis versa. Sorry you have hit a speed bump, stick with it.

stevew

Thanks Wink, MY recruiting office has a seperate recruiter for the medical and health related positions, so he's not involved there. I can't figure him out. I called an OSO and he was much friendlier, much more willing to work with me. I sure hope it's not a Navy thing, that this guy is so full of himslef
boggled_125.gif

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been invovled with recruiting off and on for a number of years and after 23 years know naval officers pretty well. I'm quite certain that you will not find the reaction of stevew's recruiter common. And if medical is a priority. They will put everybody on it. I can say that because that was the case the last time I was in the office. I was doing yeoman work for the medical recuiter. As to the pilot only resubmission package...Generally it looks better if you have more than one choice since it shows motivation for the navy in general. You of course are not obligated to take anything they offer, so if it is just for show and you only want your first choice, no matter what it is, then you can deccline and walk away. Problem is that if you put a second or third choice, are slected for one of them and turn it down only to come back and reapply for your first choice only, you may be asked to explain why you put down a second choice the time before. Don't want to look like you are jerking them around or playing the system, which of course is done all the time. Is that clear as mud or did I help even a little?

gq

Thanks Wink, I understand completely. I will list the original choices from before. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.