• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevew

I have 5's and a 48 on my OAR and I'm applying for pilot. My question is, because it is so tough to get a pilot slot right now would it be a good idea for me to apply for something else, finish that tour and then apply for SNA. Would I soon get a pilot slot for transfering rather than applying as a civilian? Or is my best bet just to keep on applying for pilot. I am only 24 so age isn't really to much of an issue.
Also, if I were to apply for something else it would probably be Intel or SpecOps. Does anybody have links to where I can find more info on these communities?

Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lateral transfers from one designator to the other are fairly uncommon. When they do occur most guys usually go unrestricted line to restricted line. It is absolutely is possible though, but much is out of your control. It is essential based on unexpexted gaps in manning in certain year groups. In other word, if thy end up short Lt pilots in year group 2007, they will open it up to transfer for officers from a designator that isn't facing a manning issue at that time. So, if they were short, and if you were in the right year group, and if your designator in your year group had plenty of people and your rogram manager decided to let you go you would be considered.

jaerose

Why don't you just try retaking the ASTB and get a better score (study more prior)? Then you could be more competitive.

JR

stevew

Thank you for your input guys, especially Wink
bouncy_125.gif
. SO then just retake my ASTB and keep on applying until they either say yes or I get to old?
banghead_125.gif
IS there anything else I could do to have my app looked upon more highly by the board?
Wink: if I do apply for another community unrestricted line of duty would it be shooting myself in the foot in terms of securing a pilot slot later on?

Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aceing the ASTB will do you no good if there are simply no openings. That is the case now for 2003 and 2004. Anyone getting a date in the near future is just picking up a slot for someone that was accepted and didn't ship out. Soonest you can expect pilot opennings will be for 2005. NFO is still open for now though your test scores are probably not good enough for that. Retaking the test is still a good idea. I can not recommend accepting a job in the navy on the hope that you can secure a designator change to pilot down the road. If you can be happy in Intel or NFO and then take a shot at the lateral, fine. Just don't count on it. By the way. Probably more likely to get the lateral from NFO than any other designator. NFOs have already gone through the same ground school and airmanship training as pilots. NFOs are a surer bet for successful pilot training than, say, an Intel or SWO. The laterals just don't happen that often though. Be sure of what you want. Can you afford to wait for a FY2005 slot? How competitive will your age be? Any chance you will blow out a knee or something? Back to your original post. The Special Warfare (SEALS) community has a web site for folks thinking of SpecWar. Tells what they expect. Can't remember the address. A good web search should turn it up. Probably a link from the navy recuriting site navyjobs.com

jaerose

Wink's right...nailing the ASTB won't guarantee a spot when there aren't any left, but if you can wait, then a good ASTB will make you more competitive. That's your jumping off point...it's up to the higher-ups from then on.

JR

stevew

Does this mean that I shouldn't get my hopes up on ever being a pilot? in FY'05 I'll be 26 so I would still have a shot but who knows what will happen between now and then. Does anyone know when the boards will start looking at applications again? Could I resubmit any time before FY'05 or does hope look bleak between now and then? Beibg upfront.. what are my options?

Thanks

Spin

SNA in Meridian
It doesn't hurt to retake the ASTB ... even if there are no slots now, when some open up, if you have EVERYTHING for your package done it will be really easy and quick to send your packet in. Now on the down side, maybe they won't open up in time for you but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. But your scores definitely gotta go up!

Peace,

-Spin

kevin

hold the phone. as one previous post stated, sna is full for the rest of 2003 for sure but not necessarily 2004. it's simply not possible to predict that as things change weekly sometimes. another thing to consider about lateral transfers is, if it's this hard to get a pilot slot now because of numbers, think how difficult the lateral transfer would be (ie, they arent going to need people to transfer cause there is already a surplus). i know a year ago they were pretty big on the transfers. my swo friend said they were all being briefed on possible swithes to avation, but now who knows. trying to predict this stuff ahead of time is pretty much pointless. for God's sake the navy's sister service is starving for pilots right now. what sense does that make?

jaerose

Sister service?

Don't get discouraged, but be realistic. You can become a pilot...it just may take longer, or maybe you could check out the AF, Marines, CG, Army, or whatever. There are many options, but if your dream is to be a Naval Aviator, then just stick with it until you get what you want, or don't want to become that anymore.

JR

kevin

jaerose: sorry, do you prefer "brother" service? not to switch the subject, but i read in a previous post that you were initially on track to become an md. that's the direction i was heading, too. when i told my dad i was going to apply for naval aviation and turn down med school possibilities he said that famous parental phrase "you need to have your head examined." he didnt have me committed, thank God, but it's nice to see that someone else had the balls to go against most people's "logical" thought and pursue a dream. what were you planning to practice anyway?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Point of clarification. Navy Recruiting does not operate on the regular gov fiscal year (oct). For recruiting assession purposes the FY starts 1JUL. Therefore the first FY04 OCS class is 12JUL03. First class of FY05 is 10JUL04. So, if things open up a bit in 05 you would be looking at a class as soon as 10JUL04! Given you should take the test again, the time it takes to get an app together, how long CNRC looks at it, and the adavantage of applying early, we aren't really talking a long wait. See your recruiter about the soonest you should have the app in the mail. Us the time to improve the test scores and your PRT. You guys know you have to pass a swim test now, after slection , but before shipping out to OCS? You need to swim WELL.

stevew

Wink,

When do you think the best time would be for me to get the app out in the mail? Just so that I have a time frame for when everything sshould be put together. I want to have my app in early so that my chances are betterbecasue the splots are just opening up, but not to early so that I shouldn't be considered for the old spots that are still closed. Also, what is the swim test that you must now do? When did they start implementing it?

Thanks

kevin

just hold your breath when they push you in the water. eventually you'll float to one side or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.