• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Slowing down orders to Oceana?

Flugelman

Contributor
Funny SERGRAD Story

Back in '81 we had a SERGRAD in primary declare an emergency on the runway on takeoff, engine fire. I was standing the Ops Duty Officer watch, (E-8s and E-9s stood this watch because of a shortage of eligible officers) and had a firsthand seat from the tower. Turns out he had never made a night takeoff from the backseat of a T-28 and he thought the different perspective of the exhaust flames was an engine fire.:eek:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Better to err on the side of caution... If I see flames in my rear view mirrors at night, I might abort too. Oh wait, that's just the afterburners...

I've known several SERGRADS, and they're all good guys who either a) wanted the chance to instruct at an early stage in their career, or b) had some reason to stay in K-rock (i.e. getting married types.)

Doesn't seem to make much difference career-wise, but as a lowly Cat 1 RP I can't be sure.

fierceseaman

pilot
I think your rumor has merit.

I selected today. No one got Oceana from Meridian or Kingsville. CO of 9 told me this personally. I also know that the class before me where all the Navy guys got Oceana (even those that asked for Lemoore ahead of Oceana) got their class up dates pushed back by about a month and a half. As of right now, I'll be starting the Charlie rag (VFA-125) before those guys start in Oceana and they winged almost a month ahead of me.

Just my 2 cents.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I think your rumor has merit.

I selected today. No one got Oceana from Meridian or Kingsville. CO of 9 told me this personally. I also know that the class before me where all the Navy guys got Oceana (even those that asked for Lemoore ahead of Oceana) got their class up dates pushed back by about a month and a half. As of right now, I'll be starting the Charlie rag (VFA-125) before those guys start in Oceana and they winged almost a month ahead of me.

Just my 2 cents.

And the class before that "Oceana class" all got Lemoore/Miramar (aka my class). Its a very lovely cycle. If you are from 9, let me know who you are and who else is coming out here(pm me). I'll be seeing you around -125.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
just proves my point of dream sheets being a total waste of time. I don't know if it ever is even taken into consideration.

Case in point. When I selected jets, I chose Meridian (from Whiting) on my dream sheet. A guy in Corpus chose Kingsville (on his dream sheet). We selected the same week and he got sent to Meridian, me to Kingsville. I spoke to him and we asked the Navy if they would switch us... obviously would save the Navy money with the move, etc.

Nope.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
just proves my point of dream sheets being a total waste of time. I don't know if it ever is even taken into consideration.

Case in point. When I selected jets, I chose Meridian (from Whiting) on my dream sheet. A guy in Corpus chose Kingsville (on his dream sheet). We selected the same week and he got sent to Meridian, me to Kingsville. I spoke to him and we asked the Navy if they would switch us... obviously would save the Navy money with the move, etc.

Nope.

Yeah basically had the same thing happen to me. Guys around my week went to Meridian. I went to Kingsville though I wanted Meridian and vice versa... Doesn't make any sense really. Especially since it took like 2 months to start up anyhow. I seriously think someone in charge comes up with logical solutions and then does the complete opposite just to mess with everyone...

BaconUSMC

pilot
I know in VT21 we have had individuals turn down SERGRAD. No big deal, they just wanted to get to the fleet. I think it's a good option to spend a year instructing if there is any possibility you might want to get out after your initial commitment because of the effect it has on your shore tour rotation.
Another reason guys take SERGRAD is because they are comfortable where they are and want to spend a year decompressing. For the first time in their short careers, they are comfortable in the squadron and in their aircraft, and can get some hours before heading off to their RAG of choice. It's not for everyone, but everyone should consider it an honor to be selected.

stickygdm

pilot
Yeah basically had the same thing happen to me. Guys around my week went to Meridian. I went to Kingsville though I wanted Meridian and vice versa... Doesn't make any sense really. Especially since it took like 2 months to start up anyhow. I seriously think someone in charge comes up with logical solutions and then does the complete opposite just to mess with everyone...

Life is not logical sometimes. Mishaps happen, the training pipeline gets slowed down. Hurricanes happen and we're cleaning up destroyed hangars. Also nothing new here... I wanted East Coast Tomcats first... got VFA-125. OH NO FLYING HORNETS MY LIFE WILL SUCK! :icon_wink But alas it was a dream come true. THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE ON THE PLANET TO FLY HIGH PERFORMANCE COMBAT AIRCRAFT THAN R-2508 out of Lemoore. Living in Lemoore in 1994-1998.5 wasn't to popular with CINCHOUSE but things have changed there a lot. I finally got those orders to Oceana (via a closing Cecil) and I missed flying out west. Living on East coast was pretty good. Bottom line, It really is an adventure. Cubicle jobs are available for all that want them. But for those who want to live the dream, don't sweat the small stuff.

Oh, not making excuses or distractors from "...does the complete opposite..." (sound's like the George Costanza method!) but we try to make the best decisions amongst what is the appearance of chaos. No one is trying to "...intentionally mess anyone up." Naval Aviation is a big organization and you're all an important part of it... that is the future of it.

Just remember that if you find yourself driving the opposite direction on I-10 than you wanted, maybe you will find something you love and enjoy at the end of that drive. And, in a blink of an eye you're driving the other way on I-10 at the end of your first JO tour then you'll find there are more adventures and great flying in that direction also.

MasterBates

I'm just glad when I leave here I am going somewhere other than FL or TX.

Pcola-Corpus-Pcola-Jax-Corpus/Krock = last 8 years in a nutshell.

phrogpilot73

I like to think of my home town as: Villawashpenscorpuskingslemojaxvabeachnewpmeadekingsville, USA!
I had a company officer at the Naval Academy that claimed he was from some tiny, unknown town in the mountains of Western North Carolina. He was a Navy brat, so we knew it wasn't possible (no water around). We asked him about it - he took the lat/long of all his Dad's duty stations, averaged them and came up with a lat/long that turned out to be where he claimed "home". Yup - he was a nuke.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I had a company officer at the Naval Academy that claimed he was from some tiny, unknown town in the mountains of Western North Carolina. He was a Navy brat, so we knew it wasn't possible (no water around). We asked him about it - he took the lat/long of all his Dad's duty stations, averaged them and came up with a lat/long that turned out to be where he claimed "home". Yup - he was a nuke.
Hilarious, I guess that means I'm King Neptune, cause I'm from THE OCEAN!!!