• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Slowing down orders to Oceana?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
So, the word on the street is that come July, Oceana won't be offering any more RAG slots for a bit. I'm chocking this up to rumor mill... but anyone have any gouge on this?

Raptor2216

So, the word on the street is that come July, Oceana won't be offering any more RAG slots for a bit. I'm chocking this up to rumor mill... but anyone have any gouge on this?

Don't worry, if you were looking to go to Oceana then its very likely you will end up in Lemoore while those of us looking to go to Lemoore or SD end up in Oceana. Either way, I wouldn't believe anything until i'm there.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
-1 for starting a stupid rumor. I hear KRock is going to wing nothing but Prowlers until the end of the fiscal year...there, now we are even. ;)

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
-1 for starting a stupid rumor. I hear KRock is going to wing nothing but Prowlers until the end of the fiscal year...there, now we are even. ;)

gimme a break for chrissake. I didn't START the rumor... hell, if anything I'm trying to debunk it to all the people I've been hearing it from (both from people at the RAG as well as guys in Adv).

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Just out of curiosity, do/can navy dudes go to SD and VMFAT for the hornet RAG? I really have no clue but i bet that would be a tits place to go if you could!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rumor rules:

Listen to all rumors, pass them along expeditiously, believe none of them.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
And then sit back and say, "Oh well I guess it's a good thing my trip to the boat is being delayed again."

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, do/can navy dudes go to SD and VMFAT for the hornet RAG? I really have no clue but i bet that would be a tits place to go if you could!

I wondered this same thing... Course that would probably mean you would have follow on to Lemoore... I'm not sure a couple months in SD would be worth it

Raptor2216

There is a sergrad(Navy type) here who told me he has the option of attending the charlie RAG in SD.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
/threadjack...

How does the sergrad thing work as far as commitment? I mean are you winged before doing sergrad and the time spent doing counts towards your commitment, or is the time spent doing it pre-commitment?...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
There are numerous Navy studs flying with -101 at Miramar.

SERGRAD's get selected after they get winged and then spend a year with the squadron as an IP. It counts toward their commitment and they usually get their choice of coast/platform afterwards.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
gimme a break for chrissake. I didn't START the rumor... hell, if anything I'm trying to debunk it to all the people I've been hearing it from (both from people at the RAG as well as guys in Adv).
Easy killer, I didn't actually -1 you......I wanted to see your Guns D:D
There are numerous Navy studs flying with -101 at Miramar.

SERGRAD's get selected after they get winged and then spend a year with the squadron as an IP. It counts toward their commitment and they usually get their choice of coast/platform afterwards.
My take on SERGRAD......not worth it unless you do some graduate education while you are SERGRADDING. Great, you get a shitton of hours and the choice of RAG for the most part. If you are good enough for SERGRAD, then you are probably good enough to pick that anyway upon winging. It is just some protection against needs of the navy. I would much rather have that precious year as a fleet JO running with the pack and having the appropriate quals. (Coming from the senior LT going back as a CAT1A in the near future)

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
My take on SERGRAD......not worth it unless you do some graduate education while you are SERGRADDING. Great, you get a shitton of hours and the choice of RAG for the most part. If you are good enough for SERGRAD, then you are probably good enough to pick that anyway upon winging. It is just some protection against needs of the navy. I would much rather have that precious year as a fleet JO running with the pack and having the appropriate quals. (Coming from the senior LT going back as a CAT1A in the near future)

For young JOs its a good deal. Pick up a ton of hours and experience and a bunch of quals (section lead) before you hit the RAG. One of our guys picked it so he could get a better shot at the Growler. One of the guys down here just had a baby so it gives him another year with the family. It also works well for those guys who only plan on doing their commitment. After a year there, a year in the RAG, a three year sea tour, they'll finish up with their shore tour.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
For young JOs its a good deal. Pick up a ton of hours and experience and a bunch of quals (section lead) before you hit the RAG. One of our guys picked it so he could get a better shot at the Growler. One of the guys down here just had a baby so it gives him another year with the family. It also works well for those guys who only plan on doing their commitment. After a year there, a year in the RAG, a three year sea tour, they'll finish up with their shore tour.
For young JO's who wish to get out after their initial obligation then yes it is a good deal. But making your decision 8 years prior to that is not wise. So what if you get a T-45 section lead qual.......it doesn't mean shit in any other jet, just like any of the other "quals" SERGRADS get. Your hours are great for SA, your T-45 "experience" doesn't mean shit either as FAMs, Forms, and Instruments instruction do little to make you a bomb-dropping, BFM flying guru. Bottom line is you are behind your yeargroup by doing the SERGRAD thing and FITREPS as a Lieutenant will make you or break you. So, any other good advice or experience?