• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Slingbox

helo_wifey

What did you think of Apple TV?

We want to get rid of all our DVDs (and VHS. . .) and go digital, so we're between Apple TV and the Western Digital TV. Leaning toward the WD more (more storage space, cheaper, can still download shows from iTunes and play through the iPod), but curios what you thought of Apple TV.

The wife here...The one thing I don't like about the Apple TV is the storage space, but I like the ease of use because we're a Mac family and have a Mac desktop that we store everything on so it's easy to link up, transfer, etc but if you can find a device that can do the same for cheaper and more storage I'd say go with that.

We got the Apple TV in Japan when we really didn't have any other options (Slingbox was fairly new I think, and we didn't have family with the internet/cable capabilities to hook up with). Now being back in the US for just under a year we really haven't used the Apple TV much...maybe once a month at best. We rent from Redbox and use the DVR for things on tv. We have about 200 dvds that we could rip and back up but it's just as easy to pick one out of the case and throw it in the player.

That being said, in Japan I really didn't feel the need to see shows right that minute, and if we did we just got them on iTunes (and only the ones we knew we would watch multiple times). Unfortunately tv shows from AFN are slow on the uptake and when we left were about 2 week behind what people in the US were seeing them but they were supposed to be upgrading that, not quite sure if they did. Even living off base you can get the AFN channels (at least the basic ones) and they aren't anything to write home about.

Also, not quite sure how much TV you watch but the husband wasn't around enough to watch shows on a regular basis and when he was home he was either working or we were out and about. Just something to think about.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
In addition to das's good posts, the Slingbox ProHD has a built in tuner that doesn't require a cable box/DVR. You can tune free HD local channels and stream them out. If you're only looking to get live sporting events and not DVR, save yourself the monthly charge from the cable company for the cable box.

Is that the difference between the solo and ProHD versions?

I want the DVR, so I'm going to have to get them a cable box. Is that all? Do I need a separate internet connection? Computer? Cable outlet? Anything??? Or just the slingbox and that's it?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
For what it's worth, the AppleTV is also due for a refresh, and analysts expect one soon -- probably alongside a major software update. Latest info.

Ya I'm up on the Mac Nerd News Feed. They were expecting it last week, but nothing. If they do upgrade it to something more powerful than the original Xbox, I'll bit again. I sold my original on ebay for almost what I paid for it new.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor

I want the DVR, so I'm going to have to get them a cable box. Is that all? Do I need a separate internet connection? Computer? Cable outlet? Anything??? Or just the slingbox and that's it?

You'll need the regular Slingbox, a DVR from the cable company where you're going to keep it (parent place? Or friends?), cable outlet for the DVR Box, and an internet connection for both the Slingbox and your Computer. Diagram:

Cable TV -> DVR Box -> Slingbox -> Internet where Cablebox is -> Big Internet -> Laptop/Computer in Japan

As das suggested, make sure the internet where the cablebox is can handle uploads of at least 512kbps.

das

Contributor

That's all they need...just a cable box. Or perhaps not even that, if their TV has a tuner and all they want to do is watch live TV, and the TV is able to tune all the channels they want.

Then you'd just split the coax, have one going to the TV (or cable box), and the other going to the DVR - that is, if the Slingbox is going to be near where the DVR and existing TV is.

If you're going to set up the Slingbox where the cable modem/router/etc. is, then you could just put the DVR there. And on any coax splitters you use, make sure they are suitable for digital cable/cable modem-type setups (>1GHz).

You don't need a separate computer, cable outlet, or internet connection. Just the Slingbox, a network connection for it (if you have a router, then it should have multiple ethernet ports on it), the DVR, and the right video cables to hook it up.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's all they need...just a cable box. Or perhaps not even that, if their TV has a tuner and all they want to do is watch live TV, and the TV is able to tune all the channels they want.

Then you'd just split the coax, have one going to the TV (or cable box), and the other going to the DVR - that is, if the Slingbox is going to be near where the DVR and existing TV is.

If you're going to set up the Slingbox where the cable modem/router/etc. is, then you could just put the DVR there. And on any coax splitters you use, make sure they are suitable for digital cable/cable modem-type setups (>1GHz).

You don't need a separate computer, cable outlet, or internet connection. Just the Slingbox, a network connection for it (if you have a router, then it should have multiple ethernet ports on it), the DVR, and the right video cables to hook it up.

:confused: lol...ok. You're not going to be in Green Bay in the next week, are you?? I'm sure I'll figure it out - thanks for the help!

das

Contributor
:confused: lol...ok. You're not going to be in Green Bay in the next week, are you?? I'm sure I'll figure it out - thanks for the help!

Hehe, it sounds complicated, but here's all you need to know. The Slingbox will need:

- A network connection. This must come from a wired ethernet cable, which probably will need to come from the router that is hooked up to the cable modem...and hopefully they do have a router.

- Video and audio input from the DVR.

Then the DVR will just need its own cable connection (and it doesn't need to have its own outlet; this can be split). You might want to have a TV there temporarily to make sure it's all working, if you have a small TV.

Once it's all set up, you will go through the setup process for the Slingbox, and then there needs to be a configuration change made on the router to allow the video and audio to get out of the network...Sling has documentation for every kind of router out there.

Once this is done, it should all "just work", and stay working...feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

phrogpilot73

PSW and I finally have our set up going well, we've got a Windows Home Server with 2TB of space that we're in the process of ripping all our DVD's to. We can stream them to the Xbox360 or to one of our computers in the house. Not to mention that the WHS also backs up our computers each night, and keeps track of our anti-virus and spyware on all the other computers. It sends me text messages if something's wrong with it, and even has a website that I can access my server from work.

If you're not a Mac guy, I highly suggest looking into WHS - it's probably one of the best products I've ever seen come out of Redmond, and it's got a pretty good community of developers as well.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
it should all "just work", and stay working..

Set it up this morning. Wow... WAY easier than I thought it would be. Just plug a couple cables in and follow the directions on the screen. Couldn't have gone better. :D

One more question....as I watch the DVR on my computer it also shows up on the TV. I thougth I could watch the DVR without interrupting the TV. True? Or do I need a different cable outlet or something?

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Set it up this morning. Wow... WAY easier than I thought it would be. Just plug a couple cables in and follow the directions on the screen. Couldn't have gone better. :D

One more question....as I watch the DVR on my computer it also shows up on the TV. I thougth I could watch the DVR without interrupting the TV. True? Or do I need a different cable outlet or something?

Not that I know of. You're basically copying the output that would've gone to the TV and sending it to your computer.

das

Contributor

If you're using the same DVR that is currently attached to the TV, yes, you're taking that same signal, and the TV is going display whatever the DVR is displaying. If you also give the TV its own direct cable connection, then you could also tune channels separately on the TV itself. This would assume that the DVR is using a video input on the TV, and you'd basically switch the TV to tuning its own channels while you're using the VCR. If your parents don't care about the DVR, you can separate the DVR you're using with the slingbox from the TV entirely, and just have the TV able to tune its own channels with a direct cable connection, or its own cable box.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
If your parents don't care about the DVR, you can separate the DVR you're using with the slingbox from the TV entirely, and just have the TV able to tune its own channels with a direct cable connection, or its own cable box.

So if I got a splitter it should work???

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
2. You need sufficient upstream bandwidth to be able to handle the outgoing video/audio. Many broadband providers skimp on the upstream bandwidth. I'd shoot for 1Mbps, but less does in fact work.

Ahhhhh....now I understand. It wasn't so bad when I was watching it on the computer, but now that I have the sling catcher hooked up it's obvious I need to upgrade my parents internet. Most of this conversation went over my head the first time....but the info sure is helping now!!