• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sleep Apnea??

VIZKRIEG

KILL
This morning, I got a call from my OSS, and was told (finally) that I was DQ'd from a Flight Contract, because of sleep apnea, apparently. I found out about the DQ in September, but they didn't know what the reasoning was until today.

The thing is, I don't have sleep apnea, a history of it, trouble sleeping, or anything. I don't even snore anymore! I did have some sleeping issues over the summer of 2007, because of my greatly hypertrophied tonsils (which got me dropped from OCC-195), but since they were removed at Bethesda, I have no issues whatsoever.

My question is, how do I go about proving that I don't have it, in order to get a waiver in time for OCC-201? Also, it would be helpful to know what I could have said during my flightphys to make them think I did have it. I know for a fact that the phrase sleep apnea never would have exited my mouth, because, until today, I never even considered it, nor did I know much about it at all!

I have been in contact with Sewell's Point, and will be talking with an HM3 there tommorrow, and have also contacted the Georgetown University Sleep Center (its the closest one to me) and they told me a polysomnograghy would cost $3,000, and I don't have any insurance right now, as an unemployed Candidate who has graduated college.

TIA for the help.

torpedo0126

I'm confused how the OSS diagnosed you with sleep apnea then? Did you say you had a problem sleeping or snoring? Did a flight surgeon tell you something?

Were you tested for anything? Sleep apnea doesn't necessarily mean you have trouble sleeping, it means your body stops breathing while sleeping causing it to fail to stay within the REM cycle (at least I am pretty sure thats what it is).

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I'm kinda confused, too, about the diagnosis....who did it? Was it the same folks who yanked your tonsils?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm confused how the OSS diagnosed you with sleep apnea then? Did you say you had a problem sleeping or snoring? Did a flight surgeon tell you something?

Were you tested for anything? Sleep apnea doesn't necessarily mean you have trouble sleeping, it means your body stops breathing while sleeping causing it to fail to stay within the REM cycle (at least I am pretty sure thats what it is).

Yup. As far as I know the only way to diagnose sleep apnea is with a sleep study that looks at a lot of things including brain activity, REM cycles, breathing, heart rate and O2 staturation levels in your blood.

It's good that you don't think you have it because it isn't a joke and can lead to congestive heart failure if it's not treated.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There would have to be an actual diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) somewhere for them to DQ you. Have you looked at your medical records?

Simply having another candidate, for example, say your snore loudly is not enough for a diagnosis. The ONLY way to do it right is with a sleep study. Did you have one done?

OSA is DQ for AA.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Thanks for the quick replies.

I had a flightphys in DEC 2007 at Sewell's Point, that physical is the one that apparently diagnosed me. That much I found out this morning, yes almost 14 months to the day, later. My tonsils were out on 14 SEPT 2007, well before the physical, and I don't think I would have said anything about trouble sleeping at that point. The flight doc that went over my records didn't say anything to me about it, like I said earlier, I didn't even find out I was DQ'd until September of 2008. No tests that I'm aware of were performed to check for it specifically. I know for certain I never slept anywhere hooked up to an EKG, as I understand is part of the polysomnograghy process.

The HR guy (retired SSgt) called me and told me that was the reason for disqualification. My actual records are either at District, or NAMI, I believe NAMI.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I had a flightphys in DEC 2007 at Sewell's Point, that physical is the one that apparently diagnosed me...... The flight doc that went over my records didn't say anything to me about it, like I said earlier, I didn't even find out I was DQ'd until September of 2008. No tests that I'm aware of were performed to check for it specifically....
They can and do screw up -- call them -- the examining facility -- and request/demand a copy of the complete physical, any Doctor's notes, reports, tests, etc. that they generated be mailed or faxed to you ASAP ... you rate it and it's YOUR medical history.

I've had several medical screw-ups in my records over the years -- from both military and civilian sources.

ALWAYS keep a personal copy of any and all paperwork generated as a result of ANY contact between you and medical people. Starting today ... :)

If you want something done "right" ... you've got to do it yourself -- or in this case, at least check it yourself.

torpedo0126

Yea, i would have to believe something got screwed up. My best friend and his dad both have sleep apnea and they had to go in for some serious tests to diagnose it.

unless you checked the box that said you had sleep apnea, i don't understand how you diagnosed with it. in fact, to my knowledge, your flight physical is just a review of your medical history and an examination of the things pertinent to flying (eyes, ears, etc).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The only person that can confirm that I have apnea is my Girlfriend....

Yankee Uniform Tango
One of my co-workers (he's in his late 40's) has sleep apnea. Poor guy would fall asleep right in front of your eyes at least 10 times a day. He had the proper study done and now sleeps with an oxygen mask, which helps him function normally during the day.

So yeah, I can guarantee you don't have sleep apnea...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One of my co-workers... would fall asleep right in front of your eyes at least 10 times a day...
He's also known as a 747 pilot ... anytime, anywhere, Baby ... we can fall asleep. :):sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Thanks for the quick replies.

I had a flightphys in DEC 2007 at Sewell's Point, that physical is the one that apparently diagnosed me. That much I found out this morning, yes almost 14 months to the day, later. My tonsils were out on 14 SEPT 2007, well before the physical, and I don't think I would have said anything about trouble sleeping at that point. The flight doc that went over my records didn't say anything to me about it, like I said earlier, I didn't even find out I was DQ'd until September of 2008. No tests that I'm aware of were performed to check for it specifically. I know for certain I never slept anywhere hooked up to an EKG, as I understand is part of the polysomnograghy process.

The HR guy (retired SSgt) called me and told me that was the reason for disqualification. My actual records are either at District, or NAMI, I believe NAMI.

Go to the NAMI website, linked at the top of this forum, and call the physical standards folks. They should be able to help you get a copy of your records.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Make copies because medical will lose important records. WILL! MY entire medical record has already disappeared once.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Go to the NAMI website, linked at the top of this forum, and call the physical standards folks. They should be able to help you get a copy of your records.

I'll be calling in the AM.

Thanks everyone. It'd be bad enough to find out I was DQ'd from flying, but especially due to a condition I DON'T HAVE:icon_rage. I appreciate the direction to proceed in, and am going to get this fix as soon as I can.