• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skipping IFS

Hi all,

What exactly are the requirements to skip IFS? Do you have to have your full PPL? Or just a certain number of hours? Do you wait until you get down to Pensacola to show them your hours/PPL and they let you skip IFS at that point? Or does paperwork have to be submitted earlier in the process? Also, does skipping IFS affect your API start date or would you start API at the same time regardless?

Sorry for all the questions - trying to decide whether it's worth it to shell out for civilian flying hours before OCS in order to facilitate skipping IFS. I searched for some answers but a lot of the material was a bit outdated. Thanks!

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Per CNATRAINST 3501.1C :

SNA/SNFOs who already possess a Recreational, Private Pilot or higher civilian pilot certificate or previous designation as a military aviator are not eligible to enroll in the IFS Program. Students with such a prior qualification are considered to have already met IFS program completion requirements and are considered “validators” for IFS accounting purposes.

I submitted a copy of the last page of my logbook as well as my license and medical when I applied. Checking into API, I was already listed as a "validator".

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Probably not worth going out of pocket just to skip IFS. Why shell out for the recreational when the Navy will do it for you?

That said, I did start API about a month earlier being a validator. But you shouldn't be in any rush to start API: the longer you wait to class up, the more time you get to spend in A-Pool. You muster every morning, and you're done by like 7:15, the rest of the day is free, unless you volunteer for something to get a phone muster, which is a no-brainer if you're commuting from that Ferry Pass/Governor's Gate area. Spend ten minutes vacuuming, save 60 minutes of driving. But I digress.

Don't try to skip A-Pool. For the love of God, cherish it.

Great, thanks for the replies. Sounds like it definitely wouldn't be worth it to pay $5-10k to get the PPL. I did read a couple posts on this forum from a while back about folks who managed to skip IFS with just an initial solo, but no PPL...anyone know if that is still a possibility? It would be significantly cheaper and easier to progress to that point on my own if I do decide to forgo IFS (since I already have ~10 dual hours in a 172). A-Pool sounds great, but isn't it technically possible to get more total time in A-Pool by skipping IFS (depending on the timing of everything)?

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Sounds like it definitely wouldn't be worth it to pay $5-10k to get the PPL.
I agree
I did read a couple posts on this forum from a while back about folks who managed to skip IFS with just an initial solo, but no PPL...anyone know if that is still a possibility?
The instruction I quoted previously doesn't mention that, so I'd be skeptical.
A-Pool sounds great, but isn't it technically possible to get more total time in A-Pool by skipping IFS (depending on the timing of everything)?
Quite the opposite actually. There's no reason they would keep you hanging around in A-Pool if they don't need to. Finishing IFS is just another check in the box for things to complete before being available to class up. If you don't need to go through IFS, that box is already checked in and makes you available sooner. I classed up about a month prior to my fellow OCS classmates because I was available sooner.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just don't bother trying to game the program. There are too many unpredictable variables, almost all of which are outside your control, and you won't understand how all the pieces work (and no one expects you to). You're way more likely to wind up screwing yourself than coming out ahead.

Be where you're supposed to be, on time and in correct uniform. Last time in your officer career that'll be all that's expected of you. Jump into the current and keep your head above water.

BleedGreen

pilot
I agree

Quite the opposite actually. There's no reason they would keep you hanging around in A-Pool if they don't need to. Finishing IFS is just another check in the box for things to complete before being available to class up. If you don't need to go through IFS, that box is already checked in and makes you available sooner. I classed up about a month prior to my fellow OCS classmates because I was available sooner.
When I went through there was a huge bottleneck for those who needed IFS which meant more time in A-Pool.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Question(s) from a "sort of" old guy who came from an era prior to IFS being implemented:

Is it possible to attrite from IFS? If so, I would think that an individual would want to be best prepared as possible prior to having to go through IFS. In other words, why not shell out some $$$ at an FBO to gain initial flying experience prior to IFS?

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's possible to attrite from IFS, but not for airmanship. Kids were booted for gundecking muster sheets, failing the FAA written (which, since they give you the question bank...), failure to show for events or lateness, showing up for events completely unprepared (like, 'never cracked the book' unprepared). In other words, general buffoonery and laziness. Most of the time, those boards were come-to-Jesus moments for the studs. IFS is really more "screening and reality check" than "flying lessons".

They were also boarded if they didn't pass their SFS check by the maximum allowed hours, but every one I sat on, the attitude of the board was "What's going on, man? How can we help? What do you need more work on?" In one case, turned out the very petite female stud couldn't see over the glareshield and didn't know what exactly was wrong until she flew with a different instructor for her checkride - she didn't know you could adjust your seat upward and her regular instructor never told her. Well, that explains why your landings suck... That kind of thing.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
It's possible to attrite from IFS, but not for airmanship. Kids were booted for gundecking muster sheets, failing the FAA written (which, since they give you the question bank...), failure to show for events or lateness, showing up for events completely unprepared (like, 'never cracked the book' unprepared). In other words, general buffoonery and laziness. Most of the time, those boards were come-to-Jesus moments for the studs. IFS is really more "screening and reality check" than "flying lessons".

They were also boarded if they didn't pass their SFS check by the maximum allowed hours, but every one I sat on, the attitude of the board was "What's going on, man? How can we help? What do you need more work on?" In one case, turned out the very petite female stud couldn't see over the glareshield and didn't know what exactly was wrong until she flew with a different instructor for her checkride - she didn't know you could adjust your seat upward and her regular instructor never told her. Well, that explains why your landings suck... That kind of thing.
Had a kid in my TAPS class claim he attrited because he couldn't land, he was supposed to be an NFO. Suspected there was probably more to the story but didn't press, sounds like there probably was.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a kid in my TAPS class claim he attrited because he couldn't land, he was supposed to be an NFO. Suspected there was probably more to the story but didn't press, sounds like there probably was.

I would lay money down that was a "saving face" story.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

Got it.

Regarding the red text above...REALLY?

That's just plain ridiculous on the student's part...should be a no-brainer to not do any of that junk.

Last edited: