• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skin's Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman

I've been in this forum for quite some time now. Read alot of issues being discussed. What I'm concerned right now is the century old issue of racial discrimination. Is it still playing a big role in (perhaps) selection? Is it still present in every armed service of America? Just wanna know...

neo

rayman - as a minority and the son of a career marine and someone who is applying for an NFO slot in the marines - i'd have to say from my experience there is some racial discrimination out there, there always is, but i'm proud to say that the military is exponentially more fair when it comes to race then and sector of civilian life

FlyFast

My opinion is being a minority is a plus because they are looking for a little diversity. Race, color, or creed do not matter qualifications do. If you are qualified and a minority, i think it looks good......

Hudson

rayman, When I was in the Army (92-95) they made it very clear that we were all green. There was still some discrimination but neo is correct it is nothing like I have heard about on the civilian side. My wife was in the Air Force and she says that she did not see any when she was in either. I will tell you that all of my squad leaders were black and I was one of three or four white guys in the platoon. We were all treated the same. Now, if you were an idiot it didn't matter what color you were you were going to get treated badly until you changed your ways. Some people tried to make it out as discrimination but it wasn't. Also promotion happens in the lower ranks with out a board and the people signing the paper work at the flag levels don't have a clue who you are or what color you are. In the upper enlisted levels a board promotes you but it still boils down to numbers and points for various things that you have done. For the most part in the military you are promoted based upon your abilities and not on anything else. I am sure there are other situations out there but this is what I saw when I was in. In my battalion we had minorities in every position of authority at any time. People were always coming in and rotating out. The one thing we did not have was women in our unit.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I'm a minority too (1/2 colombian, 1/2 lebanese). My father was born here but his father was from Lebanon. I worry about getting accepted into the flight program simply because my last name is arabic, even though my father has an excellent military record (he fought in WWII, was a radio operator/gunner on B-24's). I can't help but wonder if that simple fact of my last name (even though I'm not Muslim) will have any bearing on my application?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

kimphil

Hmmm...

I was tempted to avoid this thread, but then that wouldn't be any fun.
mischievous_125.gif

The armed forces, when it comes to race, have a record of being quite progressive. In fact, a number of former generals and a couple of Secretaries of Defense have filed a brief siding with the University of Michigan in its affirmative action case heard by the Supreme Court.

What role does race play in officer selection? I'm sure it plays some role. The military wants, in fact needs, minority officers. It looks bad when you have a disproportionate number (compared to the general population) of enlisted men being led by an all white officer corps.

However, the days of this progressive attitude may be numbered. When the relatively moderate-to-liberal Vietnam era admirals and generals who run the military retire, they will be replaced by what I gather to be more conservative field and company officers now in service. That could curtail minority recruitment.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/columnists/acel_moore/5536142.htm
http://www.thestate.com/mld/state/news/opinion/5229349.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

farkle84

i dont know if i would worry about race or any of that stuff. if you are qualified, then you have a good chance as anyone else. just give it all you have 110 percent all the time and you will make it.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I suggest that some of you read Colin Powells autobiography. He poignantly discusses the issue of race or rather, the lack of issues in the military. Three years ago, when I left active duty and joined the reserves, I can honestly say that I never encountered racial discrimination. Boy, was I sheltered. Living amongst the civilian population, I continuously encounter racial slurs from ALL race's of civilian pigs. My neighbor uses slurs like military personnel use curse words. Unfortunately, he used one to many in front of my 1/2 hispanic and 1/2 italian wife. Genetically, she was born with a deep sense of pride proportional to her fiery temper. In other words, she let him have it. Unfortunately, the bigotry is commonplace in many areas of the country but not in the military. I guarantee regardless if your last name is Smith, Jones, Nguyen, Aziz, Lee or Rodriguez that when you enter OCS, you will be equal opportunity "Knuckleheads." You will be judged on your merits as an individual and nothing else. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

kaiken82

Good to hear it Frumby! Race shouldn't even being present in your package as far as I am concerned. Qualified is Qualified in my book, regardless of race, its unfortunate that civilian life will not follow this example.

"WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE"

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

Rayman

It just feels great to know. The fact that these replies are first hand infos. I'll put aside my worries and just focus on how to boost my merits when I'm already in. thanks all...

Goliath112

I'd have to agree with evervbody about there being little racism in today's military. I did not see any when I was in. The military is one of the few places that a Nascar MGD drinkin Bubba will hangout with a Master P' Cadillac Escalade with the Chrome 22's Lovin Brotha. (sorry for the stereotypes)

kabttu

I definitely agree with everything that's been said so far. I'm not in the military yet, but I grew up in it. As a kid I had friends of all races and backgrounds but once I moved back to the states to a place without a large military influence, I noticed that the different races kept themselves separated in general, really sad. But definitely glad to hear that things are still the same on the military side.

Rayman

If only the civilian side could adopt this kind of human relations, the world will be a better place to live (do I sound like a I'm preaching here?).

kimphil

Originally posted by Rayman
If only the civilian side could adopt this kind of human relations, the world will be a better place to live (do I sound like a I'm preaching here?).

Keep you stinkin commie views to yourself!
propeller_125.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.