• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpeek

Hi Steve:
I'm curious about surface warfare. I have a strong desire to do aviation but I don't feel I'm competitive enough. The choice behind that is surface warfare. What can I learn that would be useful in the real world once I leave the Navy as a surface warfare officer?? I can only think of leadership and managemant skills. Thanks for the help.
Matt

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt,

Leadership and management skills are a very big part of being a Surface Warfare Officer (SWO). You either learn those skills quick or die a very painful death during your Division Officer tours. This applies to running a division and standing your watch. Running the division requires you to manage your personnel so that they accomplish tasks on time, but are also making preparations for events that are 7 months down the road. Take for instance standing Officer of the Deck (OOD) on the bridge. You have to maintain situational awareness, make decisions, and communicate those to your bridge team. Both entail using leadership and management skills to some degree. If you do two tours as a divo and decide to get out, you will be very marketable to many industries.

On the other hand, if after you get your SWO pin, you are still interested in going aviation, that is still an option for you. You simply put in a lateral transfer request as per the MILPERS instruction. Lateral transfer boards meet twice per year, usually in March and October (Nov this year). Depending on your performance as a SWO, your CO's recommendation, and all the other typical criteria that goes along with an aviation package, you could have a very good shot at being selected.

Another route for you may be the SWO (Nuke) option. It's good money and also very marketable on the outside world.

I hope this helps some for you. Take care.

--Steve

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, I remember seeing a number of "SWO's" going through flight training when I was there.

--Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.