• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Situps

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
One of our OCs in ROTC would practice them for the 2 minutes to see how many he could do, then work on them from there. The practice times he'd use to work on using him hip flexors for the first portion of the situps, then go to his abs to grunt out the final few once they started to fail. That takes practice to get the flexors to get strong enough.

Another thing you can try is some simple gymnastic exercises. If you have access to dip bars or something, try holding a tuck sit (support yourself upright with your arms, knees tucked into the chest) for a minute of total time, doesn't matter the number of attempts it takes. Once you can hold about a minute on one go, you can extend one leg, and do the same thing (switch up the legs as you go so you don't create an imbalance). Then go to both legs out.

If you have access to a glute ham developer, do situps on it. They're ridiculously hard, especially with full range of motion.

Hope this helps.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
My trick is to do them according to the Navy rules. When you go down, only the bottom part of your shoulder blades has to touch the deck. When you go up, your elbows only have to touch your thighs. If you remember this, you can do the entire situp in a kind of rolling motion, instead of a more up and down motion. I see alot of people going all the way down till their back is flat on the deck, and then going up till their elbows touch their knees. This is completely unnecessary, and is a waste of energy.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Awesome, those videos help out a bunch...the situps seem easier than the Army style ones I've done with the AROTC unit on campus...the pushups, on the other hand, look harder, since you can't rest by arching the back.

Thanks a lot!