• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Singled out

randrx2

At almost twice the age of some officer candidates (I am 41), do you think I will be singled out (i.e. pushed more) than the others? I would hope to be treated just the same as everyone else, however good or bad that may be? Thank you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Anything that makes you stick out from the group with be cause for extra attention.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
We had a guy in my class about your age. He made it through fine. Did he get singled out? Sometimes, but so do most people at some point. Just make sure you're in good shape so that you don't run into injury problems.

randrx2

Thanks. Makes me feel better that others have done this. I remember from boot camp that even though you do everything right and are squared away, that is not enough for the DI's to not mess with you.

FlyinRock

ATTITUDE ATTITUDE ATTITUDE. DID I SAY THAT LOUD ENOUGH? I'm in mid 70's and still have people asking if I am lying about my age because I don't look or act like it. I was a USMC DI in the mid 50's and it hasn't gone away. You can do whatever you need or want to do if your attitude is right.
Give them your best shot and only you can determine when you call it quits. BTW, the "Q" word is not in the USMC vocabulary......
Semper Fi

randrx2

Thanks FlyinRock. I have the attitude of a 25 y.o. That may work against me! Quitting is not an option!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There are MANY people who will get singled out. Some will be regulars throughout, others may be picked on for a week. It SUCKS, but deal with it. As long as you put out, no one can truly fault you for that.

By the way, on another note... Are you really going through OCS at 41? I honestly don't remember, but I thought the designator with the oldest limit was like intel or SWO or something which was 35, and even with an age waiver, that would be 39. What designator are you going for, and what is the age limit? Just curious....

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
There are MANY people who will get singled out. Some will be regulars throughout, others may be picked on for a week. It SUCKS, but deal with it. As long as you put out, no one can truly fault you for that.

By the way, on another note... Are you really going through OCS at 41? I honestly don't remember, but I thought the designator with the oldest limit was like intel or SWO or something which was 35, and even with an age waiver, that would be 39. What designator are you going for, and what is the age limit? Just curious....

I believe Intel is 42.

randrx2

I originally went for INTEL but did not get selected. Got an awesome job and got called 2 weeks later by my recruiter. Asked me if I still wanted to be a navy officer? YES I DO. She told me about SWO/IP and I said yep. It has since changed to SWO only. I don't care. I do not mind being a DIVO and getting the chance to drive a ship is just ge-dunk! They also bumped up my class date from June to March so I get commissioned before my 42nd birthday. I am 12 years prior service, nuke EM1. My test scores were 8-7-8, 65.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I originally went for INTEL but did not get selected. Got an awesome job and got called 2 weeks later by my recruiter. Asked me if I still wanted to be a navy officer? YES I DO. She told me about SWO/IP and I said yep. It has since changed to SWO only. I don't care. I do not mind being a DIVO and getting the chance to drive a ship is just ge-dunk! They also bumped up my class date from June to March so I get commissioned before my 42nd birthday. I am 12 years prior service, nuke EM1. My test scores were 8-7-8, 65.

Good to know, so I can pass it along to my own sailors. Best of luck!

exhelodrvr

pilot
At almost twice the age of some officer candidates (I am 41), do you think I will be singled out (i.e. pushed more) than the others? I would hope to be treated just the same as everyone else, however good or bad that may be? Thank you.

Just don't make any videos.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Otto, if you're going to give me negative rep, at least be clever about it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Otto, if you're going to give me negative rep, at least be clever about it.

I'm not trying to be clever. Just stating a fact. I'll reiterate publicly what I told you privately with respect to the following quote.

Um, yeah... You can't tell us about that yet.

Neither can you. You've never even met me, so you certainly can't talk about whether or not I "put out", or my knowledge/performance/whatever. Statement of fact. :)