• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Since when is a go-around for separation a "mishap"

ryan1234

I say that they fire the controllers responsible for this outrage...and then tar and feather them..... oh wait.. that's what they are doing http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/t...llers-fired-for-michelle-s-plane-lapse-100300

In other news... The First Lady's car narrowly avoided a mishap by going through a yellow traffic light. Although the light had just turned yellow as the vehicle was passing through the intersection, and there were not any other cars in the immediate vicinity, transportation officials believe that those responsible should be terminated and procedures should be looked at top to bottom.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I say that they fire the controllers responsible for this outrage...and then tar and feather them..... oh wait.. that's what they are doing http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/t...llers-fired-for-michelle-s-plane-lapse-100300

Interesting bit from article : The other controller was from Miami, Florida, where he had guided a 737 Southwest flight to take a look at a small plane that was out of radio contact to see if something was going on.

Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/two-air-traffic-controllers-fired-for-michelle-s-plane-lapse-100300?cp

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The controllers involved with the nearly averted wave off of death and destruction were not fired. There has been an investigation opened. That article is a very sloppily written piece, implying that the controllers in Tennessee and Miami who have been relieved for other incidents were somehow involved in the Obama "fiasco."

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
The controllers involved with the nearly averted wave off of death and destruction were not fired. There has been an investigation opened. That article is a very sloppily written piece, implying that the controllers in Tennessee and Miami who have been relieved for other incidents were somehow involved in the Obama "fiasco."

Agreed. I had to read it twice to figure that out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This whole dust-up is and was no big deal -- except to the hyper news readers (read: news anchors) in search of a 'story' .

It happens all the time -- and it COULD have been the fault of the pilots and NOT the tower/approach guy(s). For example: IF the C-17 was going dirty, early, and got sloooooowwwww faster than expected ... and the 737 was carrying his speed too long and too close (gotta' make that 1st Lady sked ????) ... it COULD have made the planned 5-mile interval shrink to 3 +/- miles ... again, it happens all the time.

I've had to go around 3-4 times @ HNL, just to name one airport. I was cleared (for example) to follow X-number of HANG F-15's that were landing and they were 'tardy' clearing the runway. In HNL the HANG was the biggest offender as many (most?) of their pilots were low(er) time guys -- and as counterpoint, I don't ever recall having to go around in HNL for airline traffic ahead of me. And in all the airline flying at all the airports and in all the gin-joints around the world -- I think it probably happened less than a dozen times total in civie street.

In the military ??? Probably the same overall #, but then there we are talkin' @ 1/5 the total flight hours, too ... :)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
POTUS and Mrs POTUS live in the bubble. Any delay is unacceptable to their staff.
I'll bet you that there hasn't been a President/First Lady outside the bubble in generations...security will do that.
THIS is what I want to see investigated- clearly pressure from the First Lady resulted in the pilot flying at 500 kts and ATC sequencing them too close.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/20/michelle.obama.plane/index.html?hpt=T2

Love that this article says "the landing was briefly aborted." Is that like being a little bit pregnant? (now back to turtle sex)
I've yet to see any article that states that there was pressure from the First Lady or her staff - I've never flown the First Lady (came minutes from flying the current Secretary of State until our plane broke in the chocks on the way to pick her up), but I've flown a few CODELS with Congressman + staff. They gave us the schedule and we tried to meet 'em, but there wasn't too much interaction once we got below 10,000 and they were strapped in. Once we were in the terminal area we are dealing with the vagaries of incoming traffic and weather, which may change the time of landing.

Once again, a tempest in a teapot.