• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sikorsky S-97 Raider Ground Tests Today

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A really big procurement to replace something like the H-60 probably ain't happening anytime soon so this probably won't see service for a loooonggg time.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
C-17, but generally yes. H-60s all have hinges that the blades can be folded on. Not sure if the AH-1Z/UH-1Y has the same.

One of the initial design requirements for the H-60 was actually to be transportable via C-130. It had to be packed in a hour and unpacked in an hour. Sikorsky actually designed the helicopter with a much lower rotor head to fit in a C-130. They ran into vib issues and had to raise the rotor head by 15 inches. In order to still fit in the C-130, they added a removable spacer between the transmission and rotor hub. This worked, but required about 5 hours of maintenance post transport. The Army accepted the deviation in specification.

BTW, this book has other great trivia about the development of the H-60. It is perfect for a LAMPS ANI to come up with obscure questions to ask on a NATOPS check.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hawk-Helicopter-Library-Flight/dp/1563479184

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A really big procurement to replace something like the H-60 probably ain't happening anytime soon so this probably won't see service for a loooonggg time.

I would probably agree but to play devil's advocate, consider the Army is ticked off that it is losing the Pentagon budget battle to the Navy and Air Force as it is less relevant in the "Pivot Towards Asia". Bell is claiming a 2,100 mile range for the V-280 (I have not seen numbers for the SB-1) which is way more than any helo - it also helps the Army escape the tyranny of the TPFDD. You want to spend money? This would do it.

Seems as if the S-97 might be a good replacement for either the OH-58 Kiowa or the MH-6 Little Bird. And then there is the global audience - I'm sure quite a few nations would like a 240 knot helo.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Looks pretty cool. Hopefully they're smart enough to consider marinizing it right away for the Navy.
When specifically asked this question at a recent AHS conference, the lead test pilot deferred to the Sikorsky lawyer in the room who said they "couldn't comment on that."

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would probably agree but to play devil's advocate, consider the Army is ticked off that it is losing the Pentagon budget battle to the Navy and Air Force as it is less relevant in the "Pivot Towards Asia". Bell is claiming a 2,100 mile range for the V-280 (I have not seen numbers for the SB-1) which is way more than any helo - it also helps the Army escape the tyranny of the TPFDD. You want to spend money? This would do it.

Seems as if the S-97 might be a good replacement for either the OH-58 Kiowa or the MH-6 Little Bird. And then there is the global audience - I'm sure quite a few nations would like a 240 knot helo.

Sure, but that's not how procurement works. You know that.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I don't see the active Army spending money on an H-60 replacement anytime soon. I am picking up two brand new UH-60Ms from Sikorsky next week. and they aren't going to the Army National Guard. The best chance for the Army to get this in the relative short term is for 1) the budget to get much better and 2) as a replacement for the LUH-72s taken from units to field Ft.Rucker with training helicopters and retirement of the OH-58s

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You may not know this, but I've got a couple hundred hours of 2K2 time in 60Bs wrestling with vibe absorbers.

I would bet you have but a mere fraction of that 2K2 actually logged. But I have no doubt you spent more than several hundred hours trying to get to the point where you COULD log it! When I transferred my career hours over while building my electronic logbook, I kept separate track of 2K2 hours. It was really depressing to see how low that number was given how much I FCF'ed.