• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SIG information

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone able to reccommend some good dealers in corpus to look for a 226 (or who could help me find one), or some online resources where I could find one to get shipped here? Been to a couple shops in corpus so far with no luck, and they really weren't the most helpful

Been doing my homework, but still new to the game :)

www.auctionarms.com has a link to find FFLs in your area.

Most gun stores I've been in are CRAP and cost WAY too much. I've always bought online since leaving MA (surprisingly, the gun shop in MA I shopped at was top notch). If you want tips on how to buy online and the federal laws that apply, let me know.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The -229 is an all around good buy. Its well-balanced, has decent punch to it and good mag capacity. Plus, as previously stated, the grips are second to none.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
And since A4's opened the 1911 can of worms...

Get a Kimber.

Attachments

• 06_10_03.jpg
    06_10_03.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 68

theduke

YES!

Good man, can't go wrong with SIG.

yep, i wouldn't even entertain the idea of a GLOCK or Ruger over a SIG P-series. I had a P226, and LOVED it. I sold it for a profit after firing a bazillion rounds through it, and used the money to help buy a Springfield stainless loaded 1911 (which I also love).

I want to get a compact SIG (P228/229) whenever I get around to getting my CCP.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
Working on a P226 for my first buy, kept going back to it at the range over everything else.

Latty

http://ordnanceoutsellers.com/index.htm

I bought my SIG from them about a year ago. Great prices, fast shipping, very good communication.

I personally would get the 229 if I were you. You can buy the .40SW but also get a .357SIG barrel down the road, effectively giving you two different guns. They swap right in. That said, you can't go wrong with either one.

Good Luck!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
yep, i wouldn't even entertain the idea of a GLOCK or Ruger over a SIG P-series.

Glock and Ruger are not even in the same league. I understand that personal preference keeps many from liking the fine products of Gaston Glock...but they are absolutely second to none when it comes to accuracy and reliability and pack much more bang for the buck than many. Ruger's are what they are...good, cheap pistols.

The bottom line with a combat pistol is that you have to pick what works for you. Sig, Glock, Kimber...all great pistols and I wouldn't begin to argue that one is hands down superior to another...cause I'd be wrong. However, Glocks work the best for me.

Buy the gun that works best for you...this of course means you have to shoot them all.;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glock and Ruger are not even in the same league. Ruger's are what they are...good, cheap pistols.

Ya it is a personal choice, and I disagree with this. Glocks too are simply good cheap pistols. I give the Glocks a nod on weight and a slight edge on reliability and then only from the abused pistol scenario. Taken care off reasonably, a Ruger will perform as well as a Glock. Bottom line, they are in the same league. If not, I don't know what league you would put a Ruger in, same as a Norinco? Glocks are popular with cops because they are inexpensive, easy to work on, and the goofy trigger makes training a bit easier.

To add to the consensus, SIG all the way. Have owned and carried a P228 on duty for over 15 years. Great gun. Many many times on a law enforcement range watching hundreds of guys qualify with various weapons and have never seen a SIG malfunction. I have seen every other pistol brand fail at least once before. Biggest reason you don't see more SIGs on cops hips is the price. Rookie cops can't afford them and where the agency provides weapons the bean counters usually can't stomach the cost of a SIG when GLOCK, Baretta and Ruger are cheaper.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
If they let me carry my P229 I defininitely will. Its reliable, well-balanced, and fits your hand perfectly. Excellent weapon.

Rookie cops can't afford them and where the agency provides weapons the been counters usually can't stomach the cost of a SIG when GLOCK, Baretta and Ruger are cheaper.

Depends on the department. Around here the standard issue is the H&K USP .45 ... which is more expensive if I'm remembering correctly.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Wink, As a serious question about your post...since it seems you have some LEO experience...

If Ruger pistols are as capable as Glocks... and in most cases are equally priced or less expensive, why do most LE agencies (~60% FBI, DEA etc...) still issue Glock?

Please read this as a serious question...it is. Just want to make that clear because of the difficulties of internet comms.:D

Some additional advantages I see...accuracy (largely personal due to fit), simplicity of operation and construction, slick exterior (to avoid hang-ups on draw and use in a concealed carry scenario...)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on the department. Around here the standard issue is the H&K USP .45 ... which is more expensive if I'm remembering correctly.

Of course, that is why I qualified that statement by saying "Biggest reason" and "usually". NYPD went Glock and LAPD went Baretta. Arizona Highway Patrol and I believe Mich. State Police use SIGs. Many federal agencies issue SIGs. Fact is, most other quality defense weapons are less expensive so they are more common where tax payers pick up the tab.

Yup H&K is a bit more pricey then SIG. I have a USP Compact .40 as well and it is a close second behind the SIG as a favorite.