• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
Any of the higher ups ever toy with the idea of putting a sub-machine gun in the cockpit of the slow flyers. Seems to me getting shot down in a huey or CH-46 might leave you pretty vulnerable with just a 1911 or 9mm. An mp5 sure would make me feel a little better.
Most -60s have at last one M-60 aboard.

Brett

VAmookie

no the guys in somalia didnt have an mp5 on board. If you're refering to the movie, one of the Delta guys handed an mp5 to the pilot, but he didnt have it before the rescue effort.

Can anyone tell me why they think its a bad idea? Seems so far people think that something in addition to the sidearm would be prudent, so why arent they arming aviators with more firepower (within reason)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
CORPSviation said:
no the guys in somalia didnt have an mp5 on board. If you're refering to the movie, one of the Delta guys handed an mp5 to the pilot, but he didnt have it before the rescue effort.

Can anyone tell me why they think its a bad idea? Seems so far people think that something in addition to the sidearm would be prudent, so why arent they arming aviators with more firepower (within reason)

Sorry you are wrong - check your facts.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In OEF as well as in Kosovo, we had the crewchiefs and AOs bring at least one M-16 in addition to everyone's Beretta.

ip568

None
about time

We were prohibited from carrying pistols or any defensive weapons when we flew our missions in Vietnam. It was thought our being armed would be "too provocative" and might "hinder the peace process." Be very glad you are flying now and not then.

Attachments

• vp1-70.jpg
    vp1-70.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 93

Lawman

None
CORPSviation said:

Mike Durant did have an MP5 with him when his ship went down. He was using it defensively (as defensively as you can from a position of being stuck in a chopper with busted legs) until Shughart and Gordon were able to move him to cover.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
We were prohibited from carrying pistols or any defensive weapons when we flew our missions in Vietnam. It was thought our being armed would be "too provocative" and might "hinder the peace process." Be very glad you are flying now and not then.

That is absolutely crazy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Funny ... ip568 operated "offshore", "feet wet" ... I suspect. If I'm wrong, please correct me. So someone decided they didn't "need to carry" anything for personal protection or land survival. Someone decided that being equipped with personal weapons would "hinder the peace process" .....

On the other hand ... at the same time, when going "feet dry" ... some fellows looked like Villaistas (the Pancho Villa variety) complete with multiple weapons, knives, bandoleers and bandito mustaches.

Strange how we fight wars ... :)

Lawman

None
Barnard1425 said:
My Dad was a crew chief in medevac Hueys during Vietnam. The Geneva convention stipulated that medevac crews were not to carry anything more powerful than a .38 pistol; in return the the NVA wouldn´t shoot at any helicopter marked with a red cross. You can guess how well that worked out.

Prior to going on call (or whatever- their missions weren´t really "planned") they would go to the armory, check out whatever they wanted to carry, and sign the form "guard duty". Dad preferred an M-79 when he went up. I don´t know the exact caliber, but I´m pretty sure the "blooper" had a little more stopping power than a 9mm Beretta. :D

Yeah, significantly more power then a 9mm.... 31mm more to be exact.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
I was watching task force red dog on the military channel and one of the cobra pilots, the front seater, put his M4 into the cockpit.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
My Dad was a crew chief in medevac Hueys during Vietnam. The Geneva convention stipulated that medevac crews were not to carry anything more powerful than a .38 pistol; in return the the NVA wouldn´t shoot at any helicopter marked with a red cross. You can guess how well that worked out.

Prior to going on call (or whatever- their missions weren´t really "planned") they would go to the armory, check out whatever they wanted to carry, and sign the form "guard duty". Dad preferred an M-79 when he went up. I don´t know the exact caliber, but I´m pretty sure the "blooper" had a little more stopping power than a 9mm Beretta. :D

Holy Crap!:eek: You can use an M79 in the same role as an M1911 or similar sidearm. I would think it would be too unwieldly and not accurate enough. Those must've been some huge-ass bullets.:D

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The M-79 could load a 40mm "Flechette" round that is analous to a very very lethil shotgun. very effective for close in defense.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
On the other hand ... at the same time, when going "feet dry" ... some fellows looked like Villaistas (the Pancho Villa variety) complete with multiple weapons, knives, bandoleers and bandito mustaches.

We had an old A-1 Spad driver, who told of a guy in his former squadron who, along with a couple of handguns, a machete, and bandoliers - this guy also carried a sawed-off shotgun on a strap around his neck. My friend said everyone figured that if this guy ever ejected, the shotgun would either strangle him, or beat him severely to a pulp! (Seemed a pretty far-fetched story, but the guy telling the story was not a BS'er, and a lot of guys carried a strange assortment of things back then.)

------------

Our para-riggers sewed bandoliers onto our torso harness, and onto our G-suits. (We all carried 38's or 45's, with a few 9mm's). I carried a large mix of exposed ball, flare, and tracer rounds upon my person.

I carried them for so long, I just never gave it much of a thought . . . until my first flight later, in peacetime, and back on shore duty with a new squadron.

I suited up, and casually without thinking, strolled into maintenance control for my flight with maybe 50 – 75 rounds showing. Upon seeing this new Pancho Villa, the maintenance control officer went bananas! (Can't say as I really blame him.) I thought they were going to call EOD to relieve me of all my "ordnance"!